Acrylic and silicone?

S

shrimpy brains

I currently have a 90g tank and intend to upgradeto 125. I purchased a 50g acrylic tank which I intend to turn into a refugium. Was planning to use silicone to place acrylic walls in tank for this purpose. Yesterday I followd a lnk from this site to a man who tells about acrylic refugiums. He states that silicone does not adhere well to acrylic and rcommends some sort of welding type chemical that actually melts te acrylic together.
I guess my question is, has anyone used silicone on acrylic and what kind of results came of this? Do you recommend it or the welding stuff?
Thanks for your time.

wangotango

Silicone won't keep the acrylic together, you do need the acrylic bonding glue Weld-on to bond them together. It melts the sheets together.
There are a few different types. I think you want to use either #2 or #3.
-Justin

S

shrimpy brains

I figured that would be the answer.
Just felt more capable of using the silicone.
Guess it's time to learn something new.

scsinet

If you are more comfortable with silicon and you are not as concerned about appearance as you are about ease of assembly, you can use Weld-On #16 or Testors model cement. The latter is basically identical to the former.
This is a thicker cement that you can apply like silicon to the joint. It's also more forgiving of imperfect fit - though in any case the baffles you are installing need to be measured and cut carefully so as to ensure as good of a fit as possible. The tradeoff is that it doesn't look as nice when you are done.

S

shrimpy brains

Scsi,
Thanks for the info. Just one more question(for now)
Any one know where I might purchase weld-on?

hurt

Silicone will work as long as you use enough. For my fuge I used acrylic baffles in a glass tank with silicone. It's now 5 years old and none of my 3 baffles have budged one bit.
If you are not comfortable with doing it this way, use Weld-On 1001. It will bond acrylic to glass very strongly. And you can get Weld-On 1001 at any plastics store.

hurt

Silicone will work as long as you use enough. For my fuge I used acrylic baffles in a glass tank with silicone. It's now 5 years old and none of my 3 baffles have budged one bit.
If you are not comfortable with doing it this way, use Weld-On 1001. It will bond acrylic to glass very strongly. And you can get Weld-On 1001 at any plastics store.

rmeaux

I siliconed acrylic baffles to make a Beta Tank. Just used a gob around the acrylic at the top behind the rim and a gob at the bottom below the rocks.

S

shrimpy brains

Sweet tank! I love the gravel rainbow.
Makes a beautiful display! Super idea
Thanks for sharing.

jackri

It's one thing using acrylic baffles in a GLASS tank using silicone... but if you are building a sump totally out of acrylic DON'T use just silicone.
Silicone does not bond to acrylic... the weld on actually chemically melts the acrylic together making a very strong bond. It's really not hard to use, it's very watery. I used very thin gauge wire between the surfaces, set up the sides to 90 degrees had everything in place and you just run some weld on through the applicator and it runs between the surfaces nicely. Then just remove the thin wire and let it cure (overnight for final cure).
Check your local glass shops if you have any in town. We're averaged size and have a custom acrylic shop into so I have it nice.
Check out melev's site as he has a lot of good instructions on it.

S

shrimpy brains

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/2906994
It's one thing using acrylic baffles in a GLASS tank using silicone... but if you are building a sump totally out of acrylic DON'T use just silicone.
Thanks Jack, I was thinking that same thing.
Have been to melevs site. I'm gonna give the weld on a try.
Found a plastic place in my town, unfortunately, not open on Sat.
so will have to check them out during the week.

hurt

Whew, I need to learn to read
. Totally misread your original question...Weld On #4 or #16 for your application...

pumper

If you use weld on 3 or 4 it better be a perfect fit and the joints need to be properly prepared. Weld on 3 and 4 are water thin. They do not and will not fill gaps.

S

shrimpy brains

Ok, thanks.
I will do my best to make it the right size.
How do u cut it? I've seen the cutters in the store where you just "score and snap" but can it be cut with like a jigsaw or such and then sand or file edges. What do you think is best?

pumper

Score and snap will not make a good square cut. You need a tablesaw with a 60 tooth blade. Or you can use a circulr saw with a really good trim blade on it... Thats what I use. Oh, you could also glue it with weld-on #16. It would be much easier to use and it is nice and thick.