Acrylic or Glass 55 gal tank ?

zarn

Not sure if I should go with Acrylic or Glass 55 Gallon Tank ? Any suggestions would be appreciated...
Thanks In Advance

jobob

glass, to much trouble for such a small tank. i would get acrylic for less that 100 gal. less weight.

acrylic51

IMO I would opt for glass... I'm kinda confused by the previos reply less weight??? I know acrylic is lighter but for tanks under 100 gallons they aren't that heavy anyways!!!!! Now when your talking about 150 gallons plus then I would start to look at acrylic, then your talking about weight.....2 guys can move a 265 glass tank easily, but at that size again I would opt for acrylic...
Another factor to consider is coraline algae...Glass is more forgiving than acrylic when it comes to cleaning the glass... that is one of the draw backs of acrylic for reef tanks... Acrylic is a better insulator than glass as well.
I just had a 240 built and opted for glass because weight wasn't an issue and when I scrape the front glass I don't want to have to worry about scratching and that really fine sand that might get kicked up by the cleaning magnet or your hand will play hell on your front panel... Really it depends how much scratching and buffing you can deal with, but for a tank under 100 gallons I'd opt glass, cheaper and weight isn't an issue!!!!

blemmy_guy

Originally posted by acrylic51
IMO I would opt for glass... I'm kinda confused by the previos reply less weight???
i agree with acrylic51, and you can pick up a 55 gal glass pretty much anywhere, and get a good price at that. todd

skrimpz

Glass don't strach very easily at all if it does it is very hard or impossible to get out and acrlyic straches very easily but the scrathes can be buffed out most of the time

jobob

sorry i messed up, i wouldnt go acrylic for less than 100gal. for big tanks when weight is a factor acrylic is better. thats what i meant to say.

mudplayerx

Glass tanks are heavier, resist scratching a lot better and give a slight distortion to what you see inside.
Acrylic is lighter, scratch very easily, and provide a clearer picture to inside the tank (before they start getting scratched).
I would definately choose glass.

snipe

Well a plus about how strong and scratch resistant glass is. When I put my rock in I banged the glass on accident and it never scratched or broke or anything. And it was with big rocks im more careful now. The one thing is with the glass that they us in aquairums gows through a heat and cool prosses with a peice of plastic thing inbetween to peices of glass. It makes it 5X stronger than reg glass but if it breaks it just shatters.

acrylic51

Originally posted by jobob
sorry i messed up, i wouldnt go acrylic for less than 100gal. for big tanks when weight is a factor acrylic is better. thats what i meant to say.

I kinda figured that after I reread your post....:)