Acrylic or glass for in wall tank??

mr. green

From my readings, I don't think you will have to worry about the glass or acrylic leaking as much as your seals. It seems that it will be size dependant. While glass is more scratch proof, it costs a lot more where acrylic will be less. What size were you thinking? Also, will the sides and back be the glass or acrylic, or another material?

groupergenius

I've pretty much got the wife talked into a 500 gallon in wall tank. 120 long x 36 wide x 30 tall. I'm trying to do as much research as possible before I go crazy. Lot of thinking on lighting, sump/refugium, Auto top off, calc reactors, plumbing, etc. etc.
My first concern is actually getting into the tank to arrange rocks and corals.

wangotango

With acrylic you get the versatilty with drilling closed-loop holes etc, the better price and weight. Glass is more stratch resistant, but there is a greater liklihood of a seam-break. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses, so it's really up to you.
-Justin

demonic

Dont forget about the weight of a 500gal glass aquarium. You would really need some steel reinforcements.

jovial

Acrylic will cost you more for a peice of the same size and thickness, although more scratch prone it is lighter in weight and stronger which is why most public aquariums are made from it. Unless the glass is starphire, acrylic will also transmit light better without the green tint to it. Scratches in glass are difficult to remove, some say windshield repair kits work but I dont see how. If it will only be viewed from one side you may want to consider building a plywood tank.
To prevent a lot of bowing for a tank 30" tall I would use at least 1" thick cell cast acrylic. Most plastic suppliers sell this by the sheet, a 4X10 sheet is usually a custom order.

groupergenius

Well I drew my house layout in Autocad at work today and there is just not a good spot for a really large in wall tank.
At least not without sacraficing a bedroom. Which is not a big deal, but it would face into the family room AKA TV room. Plus I would like to see more than just the front of the tank.
A walk around tank say 10' x 3' x 3' tall in the middle of the living room we never use would suit me fine. But that'll be a BIGGER battle with the wife.

wangotango

Originally Posted by GrouperGenius
Well I drew my house layout in Autocad at work today and there is just not a good spot for a really large in wall tank.
At least not without sacraficing a bedroom. Which is not a big deal, but it would face into the family room AKA TV room. Plus I would like to see more than just the front of the tank.
A walk around tank say 10' x 3' x 3' tall in the middle of the living room we never use would suit me fine. But that'll be a BIGGER battle with the wife.
I'd love to see the floorplan, I'm a bit of an architectural guru.
A peninsula display would be a cool idea, all the equiptment could go in the basement or just under the stand.
-Justin