Acrylic or Glass?

scott9311

I'm at a crossroad... Do I go with an acrylic or glass tank for a reef setup? So I'm here to ask the experienced "Reefers" what they prefer and why... If I go with glass, I am going to purchase a reef-ready (w/overflows) 200 gal tank (84x24x24) for just under a $1000. But if I opt for acrylic, I am going to purchase a reef-ready 300 gal tank (96x24x30) for just under $1700. I'm ready to buy this week... but I'm REALLY torn between the two! Please help me make a decision before my head explodes!

tapeworm

Hey Scott,
Think about coraline algae and scraping it off. Acrylic is a bit more porous than glass.
In my humble opinion, only glass should be used for reef.

treadwater

Well all I know is that acrylic is lighter and can be made into more shapes as well as rounded corners, no seams that could leak down the road, and can be repaired if scratched.
Glass however is heavy, cannot be made into shapes and has seams, but is clearer and less prone to scratching, if scratched cannot be repaired. Glass is usually cheaper, but can be more expensive when going to larger aquariums. I've had both and if carefull about scratching the tank, acrylic is the way to go.
It can be made into infinite sizes, glass is fairly limited without getting very expensive. Also the bigger the better I've been told for aquariums.
Just my two cents.:thinking:

psusocr

This question i found to be like the what came first? the chicken or the egg?
This is just everyones own personall opinion,, one big factor when having a tank that large is weight?? where will it be in your house and could it hold the glass weight?? Also what are you keeping in it? glass has more benefits if you will be scrubbing it alot, IMO i have both and love both of them,, it all depends on what your lookign for..Besides this post do a search for glass/ acrylic and youll get about 500 different opinions and then go with the one you feel comfortable with..Also one thign many people dont think about is how long you want to have the tank, i believe i read on here somewere that glass will still look good after 20 years, whereas acrlyic goes downhill?? Also do you want a drilled tank or not?? all acrylic no matter how thick can be drilled fairly easy, whereas glass is another story!!
Good luck its not an easy decision, but when you do pic let us see some pics!!

scott9311

Thanks... and it's not an easy decision, that's for sure! I'm STILL undecided... but I will be making a decision in the next few weeks. I appreciate the input... and I'll let you know which way I go with.

acrylic51

Like mentioned above acrylic is lighter and has other benefits as well, but the big thing is scratching... Coraline algae is going to grow and I don't care how carefull you are you are at some point going to scratch it. How bad who knows, but IMO I would opt for glass.... A glass tank that size isn't as bad lifting as what most people think..... I just lifted a 240 with 1 other guy and went smoothly.... and i'm not a huge guy by any means

scott9311

Originally posted by acrylic51
Like mentioned above acrylic is lighter and has other benefits as well, but the big thing is scratching... Coraline algae is going to grow and I don't care how carefull you are you are at some point going to scratch it. How bad who knows, but IMO I would opt for glass.... A glass tank that size isn't as bad lifting as what most people think..... I just lifted a 240 with 1 other guy and went smoothly.... and i'm not a huge guy by any means

When someone named "acrylic51" tells me to opt for glass... THAT'S when I REALLY start to listen:D

acrylic51

Originally posted by scott9311
When someone named "acrylic51" tells me to opt for glass... THAT'S when I REALLY start to listen:D

Bottom line is how much can you stomach the scratches you might incurr with an acrylic tank... That's the biggest drawback with the coraline algae

scott9311

Well... I've opted for the glass, and started building the stand this weekend. Thanks a lot of your input! It really helps to get others opinions...

golfish

if you have not already now is the time to make sure you have all the holes planned out. I've had 3 tanks custom made. I have yet to do one perfict. I always miss something.
Are you doing Euro bracing?

scott9311

Originally posted by golfish
if you have not already now is the time to make sure you have all the holes planned out. I've had 3 tanks custom made. I have yet to do one perfict. I always miss something.
Are you doing Euro bracing?

No... I'm buying this "off the rack" so to speak... so I won't be able to have it drilled (though it's already set-up with overflows). I'm fust going to feed my closed-loop from the top.
The tanks an Oceanic (200g 84x24x24), and it has an interesting design feature on the top. It uses a very thin (maybe 1/2") piece of plastic in the middle, flanked by 2 4" panes of glass.

scott9311

Originally posted by JacknJill
scott, what kind of fish is that in your avatar? is it yours?

It's an African Gem Tang... and no, it's not mine.