Acrylic or Glass

G

gwhunter

So here's my dilema, I've got a 90g dt in my living room that was going to be a fo tank. After a short time I decided I wanted to make it a fowlr and maybe add a few hearty corals. So I picked up another hobbyist setup complete.It was a fowlr and had alot of inverts and about 100lbs of great quality rock. I set it up and figured I'd add the contents of rock and inverts in to my 90g dt. I've got mostly tangs and angels in my tank now and tried to add an annularus angel and my passer wanted no part of it. I put the beaten annularus angel in the rock tank now to recover and I just got an large juvi colored emperor angel and added him to the rock tank until I figure out what direction I'm going to head. So to further complicate the issue I've got a 210g in my finished basement. I was planning all along to put the fish in it within the next year or so. Now that I have all these large angels I see the need to consider that sooner than expected. But I really like having the tank in my living room and we really enjoy watching the fish at night. Putting the 210 in the living room isn't an option due to width and weight. So the wife and I discussed it and I think we're going to get a 6' 150g and put it in the living room. The 90g I've got in an AGA classic oak stand an canopy. So we'd like to get a similar looking/quality stand and canopy for the 150. I have never had an acrylic tank and know they weigh a bit less than glass. There also seems to be alot of oak stand/canopy's on acrylic tanks in online photo's. I'd like to get what ever I get with built in overflows. So where's the best place to get acrylic tanks stand canopy setups? What is the cost difference? I'm also open to suggestions on the tank height. I need it to be 6'x 18"wide but it can be what ever height. I can still end up putting fish in the 210 if the need arised but we're planning on building a new home in the next 5 yrs and we'll be doing a 500g plus tank in some sort of pennisular setup somewhere in the house. So long term growth of the inhabitants won't be too big an issue. Sorry for this insanely long winded post. So let me have it all comment both positive and negative.
Matt

wangotango

Glass
pros: does not scratch easily, depending on size can be slightly cheaper than acrylic
cons: very heavy, not as strong as acrylic, not as clear as acrylic (unless you use Starphire), very difficult to get scratches out, always the possibility of a seam failure
acrylic

pros: lightweight, better versitility with drilling for closed-loops etc, stronger and clearer than glass, far lesser chance of seam failure
cons: scratches if you arent careful (but most of the time they can be removed without having to drain the tank)
-Justin

flower

Long posts are no problem..Just a tiny hint to help in the future..Separate your posts into paragraphs for an easier read.
That said...I would go glass, acrylic scratches so easy, and so it will be near impossible to clean off coralline algae that LOVES plastic to grow on. Just when your tank matures, (1 year) you won't be able to even see anything.
Glass does have a magnifying effect when you look at it...that is not really a minus. IMO
I have never had a seam break, and I have kept glass tanks for 30+ years. I agree..They are heavy.

G

gwhunter

I'll definatly paragraph next long post. I stopped at my LFS today and they said the same about the glass. He also said that acrylic was cheaper. From my google searches I'm finding that hard to believe. I'd like to know what acrylic manufactures you guys have dealt with. I'm leaning towards glass again and just building my own stand and canopy. I'm no stranger to woodworking but I tend to get impatient so I'll need to keep that in check.
Matt

flower

Originally Posted by GWhunter
http:///forum/post/3151519
I'll definatly paragraph next long post. I stopped at my LFS today and they said the same about the glass. He also said that acrylic was cheaper. From my google searches I'm finding that hard to believe. I'd like to know what acrylic manufactures you guys have dealt with. I'm leaning towards glass again and just building my own stand and canopy. I'm no stranger to woodworking but I tend to get impatient so I'll need to keep that in check.
Matt

LOL...keep searching..I went through my LFS..When they found a sale from the manufacturer...the owner was a friend...I got my 90g GLASS tank, with Pine stand and canopy for $400.00.
There are bargains out there. People want out of he hobby, and sell used tanks and equipment for a pittance of what it costs to buy new.

ironeagle2006

For your 500+ in the Future consider Acrylic. Why a glass tank of that size will weigh close to 400 lbs EMPTY. By the time you fill it and add rock and sand and such your talking close to 4 tons in weight over a small area of a floor. In my hometown there is a Ice cream store that has a 500 Glass tank as a display freshwater and he had to pour the Concrete 6 inches thicker for the tank in that one area just for the weight of the tank. I have asked 4 separate Concrete and General Contractors on my future 450 with a 125 sump and such will my 5 inch slab foundation support it they did the math with all the rock sand weight and such I am fine with Acrylic. Glass I will need to add a 4 inch deep pad to support it.

teds tank

if your going to buy a 500g down the road put your fish in the 210g for now and save the money for the house and 500g tank
btw i vote for glass, cheaper

G

gwhunter

If we end up with a pennisular design I'd like the end to be round so that rules out glass for sure. I'm torn between the 150 and 125 in glass. Does anyone know if the built in overflows can be had in the corners of the tank rather than spaced out on the back walls? I'm leaning towards the 125 since the price jump for the 150. I like the look of a little more height but not for almost twice the price for a few inch's that aren't really going to benefit the fish.
Matt