Acrylic tanks verses Glass tanks?????

phixer

Id have to go with acrylic, having had both types. Im just more cautious around the acrylic tanks and the scratching has not been an issue. Depending on the size , larger tanks made of glass are EXTREMELY heavy and very unforgiving of any flexing if you have to move them. Ive moved glass tanks up to 240 gallons and they feel like moving slabs of granite... True, acrylic is softer but it is also stronger and transmits light better, its clairty is better and it does not have the green tint associated with glass for the thicker sizes, quality acrylic will not yellow either. Id have to look up the specs for starlight glass though , Im not sure how it compairs to acrylic regarding optical clarity and light transmission.

moose48fox

Are there any specific animals (Snales) that will eat the coral algea that will build up. Maybe making it not necessary to scrape.
I am new to salt water tanks and was wondering the same thing as this thread

yimmy

I have a glass tank. When I was first putting in LR there were a few times when I bumped it and it was perfectly fine...if it was acrylic there would be no way of getting those scratches out. I would go glass unless weight, and durability (football in the house) would make you go acrylic. I think if you have an area which is like a hallway where it's going I would go acrylic, if it's in an office are I would go glass. You can't make a wrong choice either way

tonyx

Originally Posted by moose48fox
Are there any specific animals (Snales) that will eat the coral algea that will build up. Maybe making it not necessary to scrape.
I am new to salt water tanks and was wondering the same thing as this thread
corraline only scratches if you neglect your viewing areas by improper tank maintenance cleaning schedules....or use snails(very best idea)

freejury

tonyx is so very right. I have both glass and acrylic. Regular maintenance of the front is key. If you use a mag cleaner daily, you shouldn't ever have to scrape coralline off the viewing surface. It only takes a minute when you feed the tank.

msd2

wow, lol talk about resurecting the old threads. I have not been to this site in at least 6 or 8 months until I got an email notification. Good luck with your tanks guys and I still say acrylic all the way:) I shut mine down some time ago just too demanding of my time and the 350/mo budget got old.