Acrylic tanks verses Glass tanks?????

tntranch

I am looking for opinions on Acrylic aquariums verses Glass Aquariums. I recently found an Acrylic tank that seems to be a nice tank but because of the way it is set up, we will have to start as a new set-up. Because of the way acrylic tanks have a "lid on the top of the tank" I am wondering if the lights will penitrate the top of the tank, using VHO's, so that the fish and live rock and such will get enough from the light. I ask this partly because a glass tank has nothing between the lights and the water, where the acrylic tank has a lid or top with access holes. This acrylic tank also has an overflow system built right in the tank itself so any input on that would also be helpfull. One last thing, the acrylic tank also has "blackened ends and the back is also black", I am a little concerned that the black color is not going to look natural(say apposed to blue) and don't know if the lights will shine through the acrylic top and still light the tank up like it should. Maybe if some people have pictures of an acrylic tank with black ends and or backs could send me some pics it would put my mind at ease seeing what this will look like instead of trying to imagine what it will be like. Anyway thanks in advance for any and all replies.

sw65galma

What size tank are you looking at?
All I can tell you is weight!
Me and my friend could pick up my 300gal Acrylic.
But it took 4 HUGE guys to pick up my 180gal Glass and it was a struggle at best to go a few feet with it.
I'd say the 300 weighed like 250lbs
and the 180 easily weighed 500-600+

badkharma

IMO, the black back will look more natural than the blue back. I don't really like the look of the blue backs - looks a bit cheesy. The black backing is a lot classier, but that's just my opinion. Regardless, the black will not make it look unnatural.

B

big911dog

IMO, glass. or get REAL good at removing scratches from acrylic.
I painted mine a midnight blue and i like it a lot, but then i got blue in my blood, so i'm kinda biased. I agree the light blue would look kinda cheesy, but dark or black looks good.

S

shouse

McGuire's PWNS!!!
well said msd2.
People say it's a pain in the ass to get coraline off of acrylic, hands down agree. But why would u let coralline build up on your expensive acrylic tank? I look at an acrylic tank like a new luxury car. You have, and want, to baby it to keep it looking prestine. If perfect transparency is a must and Starphire is out of an option and your willing to put forth the effort to babying it it might be a good choice even for a Reef.

S

shouse

I know all the pple with huge tanks, steveweast for example, have acrylic and i believe they get away fine.

lefty

I'm so glad I have a glass tank instead of an acrylic. I lost count of how many times I accidentally hit the glass when I was rearranging my LR. The glass shows no signs of my clumsiness :D. I don't like to feel like I'm walking on eggshells when I'm doing stuff in the tank. Like most people, I doubt you'll plan on moving your tank too often. Therefore, the weight thing really isn't an issue unless you're a few stories off the ground and weight is a huge concern. :)
-lefty

S

shouse

yea for most pple i dont think weight is a concern until u start getting into the mamoth tanks. It's alright to mount MH's above an acrylic top right/? just wanted to make sure nothing special needs to be done

bill f

MSD2 - I guess the maguires plastic polish will not have an affect on tank inhabitants? (like cleaning products do) .
And how do you polisha low scratch without emptying the tank?
Just curious beceause I have a 180 acrylic arriving anyday.

msd2

the mg is only used on the outside, for internal scratches I got an acrylic scratch removal kit. All it is is fine grade wet/dry sandpaper. You dont have to empty the tank at all since acrylic is nontoxic and your removing such a small amount of material.
As far as height for the top of the tank and mh I suggest 10-12 inches. I find the the tank doesnt get hot on the top (which is what you want to avoid). The other perk is that it gives the light room to disperse.

S

shouse

is there a type of paint or color application u can use for acrylic? Inside the tank on the overflow box (i.e. Water safe, non-toxic)?

msd2

Originally posted by lefty
I'm so glad I have a glass tank instead of an acrylic. I lost count of how many times I accidentally hit the glass when I was rearranging my LR. The glass shows no signs of my clumsiness :D. I don't like to feel like I'm walking on eggshells when I'm doing stuff in the tank. Like most people, I doubt you'll plan on moving your tank too often. Therefore, the weight thing really isn't an issue unless you're a few stories off the ground and weight is a huge concern. :)
-lefty

You do want to be a bit careful though. Glass gives you a false sense of security. While it is harder to scratch (which I did do on my old glass tank btw) it is a much weaker material. Acrylic will withstand literally 10x the abuse before failure and there are no weakpoints, like with glass such as the seams since the acrylic is literally bent and melted together making the joints as strong as any other section of the tank. Don't get me wrong glass tanks are great but the only thing it beats acrylic in is scratch resistance and cost. Acrylic is superior in strength, weight, and clarity. I personally think acrylic for some reason gets a bad wrap w/many ppl thinking just looking and it scratches, my experience has been contrary with my display tank and the sump I built.
BTW a little trick I use when I buff out a scratch is to put the wet/dry sandpaper under the magnet scraper I have and remove the scratch that way instead of stickin my hand in the tank.
As far as painting on the inside of the tank I have never heard of it being done, why not just get black or smoked acrylic? I personally would be cautious about puting paint in the tank, I would say even if you could find one that 'safe' its a pretty harsh enviroment in there and woudl be concerned about its logevity. Would look pretty bad if it started flaking/peeling off.

dskidmore

You could try a two part epoxy paint, it should cure up to be fish safe, but I don't know if it sticks to acryllic well.

S

shouse

thanks.
It' s looking to be only an extra $100 to go from Arylic
to Starphire. worth it?

S

shouse

Yea i can get a 90g acrylic tank for $560 or a Starphire glass tank for $660.

msd2

whoa those prices seem reeeeally high my lfs sales acrylic 90 gal non reef ready 200 bucks, RR 250.

S

shouse

wow......
that's cheap.
I've searched, i kid u not, the whole state of FL and these seem to be the lowest prices.

msd2

you could check out the tank website, im sure its gotta be cheaper to have them make it and ship it for that cost.