Acrylic versus Glass...

toddg

I know, I know... It has been discussed many times before. I know it is personal preference. And I know the cost differences etc...
But what had me doubting my decision to go acrylic is I went to a LFS today to see what a acrylic stand looked like. They didnt have one there but while there I mentioned I was getting a acrylic tank as well. They suggested not to get one. Specifically that they scratch easy and that some 'mean' fish will bite at the walls and make more scratches....
My question is to those with a acrylic tank... In the real world day to day home aquarium, how easily do they scratch?????
I have a chance to buy a 125 gallon acrylic tank with rounded corners and colored background, pre-drilled, with 2 overflows. A acrylic stand and hood, and a very nice wet/dry with protien skimmer for just over $1400. But I do not want scratches to make me resent the purchase/deal...
Thanks for all the input!

idontknow

Once glass is scratched the mark is there and you have to look it everyday. With acrylic on hte other hand you can buff it out if its not to deep of a scratch. I have a glass tank now and the next one i get will be acrylic because it looks better without the silicone in hte corners and you can buff out the scratches.
Hope that helps you out.:joy:

toddg

Originally posted by idontknow
Once glass is scratched the mark is there and you have to look it everyday. With acrylic on hte other hand you can buff it out if its not to deep of a scratch. I have a glass tank now and the next one i get will be acrylic because it looks better without the silicone in hte corners and you can buff out the scratches.
Hope that helps you out.:joy:

Thanks.. Good to know you have had one and now would go with the other... I had heard that you could buff out the scratches.. which I assume means tearing down the entire tank and then using a power buffer of some sort. But at least you dont have to buy a new one!
Anyone else have a acrylic now and can speak to the frequency of scratches from rocks or animals in the tank????? Even with being extra carefull during rockscaping etc....

idontknow

when you buff out the scratch you keep the tank set up and use some very fine grit sandpaper.
use 200 then 400 then 800 then 1200
you will never know there was a scratch even there

toddg

Originally posted by idontknow
when you buff out the scratch you keep the tank set up and use some very fine grit sandpaper.
use 200 then 400 then 800 then 1200
you will never know there was a scratch even there

While the tank is actually set up?????
I didnt know you could do that. I just assumed you needed a high speed buffer to bring back the shine..
Thanks again..

F

fishhugger

I would go with glass, I know that when the glass scratches it usually doesnt come out, but as long as you know what you are doing, you shouldnt have to worry about scratches. They are heavier also, but once you have it set up, you usually dont have to wory about how heavy it is, unless you are planning on moving it. My glass tank has been thruogh a lot with no scratches, moving from cities, and when that little girl dumped the big container of food in it, I had to clean it in the tub, no scratches aquired. I heard that the larger the tank you are looking for, the prices are about the same for glass and acryllic, then I would go with acryllic, but only if I was getting a larger tank.

bean 1

I like the look of an acrylic tank but it isn't worth it IMO unless your system is very large and you don't want to lug around a half ton of glass. I spend half my time trying to prevent my kids from getting to close to my acrylic tank while they are playing because I'm afraid of it scratching. My kids are very active and like to wrestle, swing plastic bats and swords, throw balls....so acrylic wouldn't have been my top choice but I wanted a big tank. If your are planning on an aggressive set up with sand diggers or rock arrangers you could be in for a mess as well. Like one of the above posts mentioned, certain fish have a knack at biting the side walls (ie triggers and wrasses) leaving nice scratches as well. I've been very lucky with my fish but I have heard of others that weren't so lucky. One of my friends had an acrylic tank with a dragon wrasse that decided to topple a wall of LR and left some huge gouges in the tank that looked pretty bad! If you have patience and are careful about how you stack your LR and chose your inhabitants, you will be very pleased with the clean aesthetic look of acrylic. Good luck with your decision.
Bean