Acrylic51 Help please

teaggs

Hey Acrylic, I got a 38 gallon sump 36x12x20. I am going to get a ASM G3 and I would like to know what you would recommend to start the water depth at in the sump. I will have a Mag18 and a few bio balls and that is it along with the skimmer. I just need to know this so i now where to start and how high should I adjust the riser tube when I start it out. I would appreciate any insight on this. Thanks alot

teaggs

Originally Posted by teaggs
Hey Acrylic, I got a 38 gallon sump 36x12x20. I am going to get a ASM G3 and I would like to know what you would recommend to start the water depth at in the sump. I will have a Mag18 and a few bio balls and that is it along with the skimmer. I just need to know this so i now where to start and how high should I adjust the riser tube when I start it out. I would appreciate any insight on this. Thanks alot

And also, will this skimmer fit into my sump with it only being 12"W and the footprint being the same?

teaggs

TTT

Anybody answer this for me? I am waiting to confirm this so I can order and get my new sump running soon. Thanks alot

teaggs

Anybody answer this for me? I am waiting to confirm this so I can order and get my new sump running soon. Thanks alot
TTT

acrylic51

Sorry been busy laying flooring!!!!! (looking at it more than anything....
).....I would sit the skimmer in sump and even though the manufacturer has preset water depths it's just a guide line....I would run my water level in the sump where it's about 2"-3" above the elbow coming off the skimmer pump.....This should put you in the ball park.....Let me know what you have at that point.....

teaggs

Originally Posted by acrylic51
).....I would sit the skimmer in sump and even though the manufacturer has preset water depths it's just a guide line....I would run my water level in the sump where it's about 2"-3" above the elbow coming off the skimmer pump.....This should put you in the ball park.....Let me know what you have at that point.....
Thanks alot and what about the size of the skimmer will it fit in my sump? I see the footprint widtha nd the sump width is the same so I dont know

acrylic51

You should be able to fit the skimmer....It will be tight, but you might have to alter how the skimmer sits in conjunction with the pump........

teaggs

You should be able to fit the skimmer....It will be tight, but you might have to alter how the skimmer sits in conjunction with the pump........
You mean I just have to move it around and sit it in at a diffrent angle? I do not want to make any modifications to the skimmer at all

acrylic51

Yes or the pipe that comes off the pump elbow into the skimmer body can be replaced with a longer pipe to move the pump even more.....

teaggs

Yes or the pipe that comes off the pump elbow into the skimmer body can be replaced with a longer pipe to move the pump even more.....
Cool thanks alot I am going to go ahead and order the ASM G3 and I will let you know if I have anymore ?'s.

teaggs

I just say asmskimmer dot com isn't going to carry the asmskimmer anymore???? :notsure:
I saw that they were going to start to carry Octopus instead

acrylic51

Yeah I don't know what the deal is.....I thought awhile back there were issues on selling prices and such, but not sure if some backlash has come out of that.

teaggs

I got the skimmer and I am going to do wjat you mentioned here but I wanted to know where should I start the riser tube at, up or down? What is the easiest way to adjust once it is running

adamc1303

Yeah I don't know what the deal is.....I thought awhile back there were issues on selling prices and such, but not sure if some backlash has come out of that.
Would you say the Octopus is a better skimmer? I see them selling an Octopus Recirc Needlewheel 110, with the gate valve and recirc built in. They are the basically the same size as the G2 just a little taller, but they recirculate plut they have the gate valve and the price is $199.99 oppose to the 235 - 255 range with the ASM G2's.

acrylic51

I would advise to start the skimmer with the riser tube in the neutral position which would be with the top of the tube right around the grey ring that the collection cup connects to.......

teaggs

I would advise to start the skimmer with the riser tube in the neutral position which would be with the top of the tube right around the grey ring that the collection cup connects to.......
Ok thanks alot and I will let you know how that works out