Acrylic51, SCSInet, lighting gurus...LED lighting

al mc

Any new info reviews or opinions about using LED lighting systems as replacement for T5s or Halides for our reefs?

spanko

Most of my reading on people that have gone to LED lighting is positive. They do, depending on which color combinations you use, grow most all coral as well as T5 and MH. The only exception I have read about are acans which for some reason seem to have a 5050 chance under LED's.
And of course there is always the lower operating cost, lower heat produced, even thought the intial cost of purchasing the equipment is higher.
Paste the following into a google search and go to the first link that comes up.
LED Aesthetics: What do really think of your color?

wangotango

+1. There is a TON of information, tests, and reviews on some of the other big forums. Overall, LEDs are perfectly capable of sustaining coral. You just have to make sure you're using quality stuff.

al mc

Thanks for the replies. So, what brand(s) do you suggest. I know the initial ones on the market a couple years ago had some quality control issues.

J

jstdv8

Aqua illuminations
or better yet.. home made with cree bulbs

acrylic51

Agree on the Aqua Illuminations and check out rapid they have some DIY kits as well.....Your a handy guy....
www.rapidled.com/servlet/StoreFront

al mc

Funny how the list does seem to have many 'recycled' requests on it.....none of them involve swf keeping.