Actinic 03??

stella

I just received two 65w pc bulbs that are supposed to be 50/50 actinic 03. Is the blue half supposed to look like sky blue? I have an actinic already and it's kind of purple, not sky blue. Please help
I'll try to post a pic.

tx reef

There are two different actinics. One is purple colored and one is blue colored.
One is a 420 nanometer and the other is a 460 nanometer. Not sure which is which, though.

tx reef

I personally do not like the 50/50 bulbs. The actinic lighting just doesn't look good.
What I had over my 55 was 2-65 watt 10,000k bulbs and 2-65 watt dual actinics and it looked great.

dogstar

There are four main color temperatures available for power compact bulbs: 6700k daylight white; 10000k daylight white; 7100k or 460nm blue; and Actinic 03 or 420nm. 6700k daylight white bulbs are generally the brightest of all the bulbs. The color of this bulb tends to be more of a yellowish/white bulb. Plants tend to thrive under this color temperature as will your corals. 10000k daylight white bulbs are more of a “crisp” white light with just a hint of yellow. This bulb tends to be not quite as bright as the 6700k bulb, but can be more pleasing to the eye, especially if actinic or blue lighting is not used. 7100k or 460nm blue bulbs help to “wash out” the yellowing of the 6700k or 10000k bulbs and can make the tank more appealing to look at. It tends to be a very bright blue bulb compared to an Actinic 03 (420nm) bulb. Actinic 03 or 420nm bulbs tend to be more of a purplish/blue color. The Actinic 03 (420nm) bulbs really help to fluoresce corals more than any other bulb. It will help green, reds, blues, etc. to really jump out of corals.
Bulbs can be all one color temperature, or they can have a mix of colors to achieve a desired look. These mixed bulbs are generally referred to as 50/50 bulbs. One tube will light up one color, while the other tube lights up the other color. These combinations include:
6700k/10000k combination bulb. The advantage to a bulb like this is you will get the intensity of the 6700k side of the bulb, but also the more desirable (visual look) of the 10000k bulb mixed into the bulb.
Actinic 03 (420nm)/7100k (460nm) combination bulb. The advantage to this bulb is you get the brightness of the 7100k (460nm), but also the color enhancing of the Actinic 03 (420nm). It should be noted when this bulb is turned on, the 7100k (460nm) side is so much brighter than the actinic 03 (420nm) side, it appears the actinic 03 (420nm) side isn’t even working. But if you stick a dark piece of paper between the bulbs, you will see that both sides are working.
Actinic 03 (420nm)/10000k combination bulb. One tube will light up bright white and the other tube a purplish/blue color. The advantage of this bulb is it tends to be the most visually appealing. If only a single bulb is being used (or two bulbs end to end) over the tank this will give you a nice mix of white and blue for the tank.
7100k (460nm)/10000k combination bulb. Similar to the actinic 03 (420nm)/10000k bulb, one tube will light up white while the other tube lights up blue. Since this combination is using the 7100k (460nm) blue instead of the actinic 03 (420nm), it tends to be a brighter bulb. Again, if only a single bulb is being used (or two bulbs end to end) over the tank this will give you a nice mix of white and blue for the tank.

stella

thanx for great info
but still my doubt is... I supposedly bought "Actinic 03 (420nm)/10000k combination bulb. One tube will light up bright white and the other tube a purplish/blue color. The advantage of this bulb is it tends to be the most visually appealing. If only a single bulb is being used (or two bulbs end to end) over the tank this will give you a nice mix of white and blue for the tank." Does the first pic look like this bulb to you?? It has no purpleish color whatsoever IMO

stella

I looked for the box of the actinic bulb I already had (the 2nd pic) and it says ultra actinic. Is that the difference? I'm so bummed... I bought the bulbs cause it said actinic 03 and they just look like blue bulbs to me

dogstar

I have a 50/50 bulb that the manufacter calls 10k and ultra actinic, the actinic is 460nm. It looks simular to your first pic when lit.

nigerbang

I can tell me big difference in my actinics...I have 2x96 420 and 2x65 460 with 2x250 HQI...seems to be a bigg difference (Wife doesnt see it she says)...Hello Power Bill

stanlalee

the one you originally had is a true actinic 03 or at least looks like it. the new one that you state was sold as a 50/50 with half true actinic is probably going to be impossible to tell because the daylight tube next to it often has that affect (either looks lighter or hardly on at all). as long as the day and actinic side are on together you cant really tell. the pic doesn't look like a true 03 though because it should hardly be visable not bright blue (but its a photo with reflections and such. hard to say definitively).

stella

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
the pic doesn't look like a true 03 though because it should hardly be visable not bright blue (but its a photo with reflections and such. hard to say definitively).
In person it looks like that.... like a light blue. Anyway I just noticed that the box says: "10000k trichromatic daylight actinic 420 phosphor in the same lamp"
but the seller says: "50/50 – One tube 10,000K and the other tube Actinic 03"

and the best part : "*All Sales are final. We do not accept returns."

aquatics24

Ya i hate the no returns, i try not to buy product from stores like that unless i know exactly what i am taking home. IMO i like the new bulbs you have...doesnt it look good through the water? Is it fishonly or corals?

stella

I don't like how it looks
I think I'll try to sell them.. don't know if I should email the seller or just leave a negative feedback... never done that before

here's a pic of the boxes

stanlalee

Originally Posted by stella
I don't like how it looks
I think I'll try to sell them.. don't know if I should email the seller or just leave a negative feedback... never done that before

here's a pic of the boxes

I wouldn't give the seller negative feedback. the product is clearly labeled and sold as 420nm which is one in the same as actinic 03. If there is a problem its the manufacturers inaccurate rating. However I think your jumping the gun because a 420nm looks totally different by itself than it does next to another light.
the bulb on the top tube is a 420nm/actinic03. no doubt about it. this bulb is dark purple by itself but with the influence of the 460nm tube below it it looks alot bluer and nothing like a 420nm bulb looks by itself. the true actinic tube looks nothing like it really does in none of the pics.

and from top to bottom 6700K/10000k/420nm/460nm

stella

yeah...... I think I'm just paranoid ... I really like the look of the ultra actinic better (that would be the 460nm one right?) But the 420 is better for corals?
thanx for all your replies... I really appreciate it.

stella

ok sorry....I think I'm wrong again... "Actinic 03 or 420nm bulbs tend to be more of a purplish/blue color."

stanlalee

yes the 420nm is more purple and better for your corals. Helps them grow the color pigmentation and makes the flourescent pigment flourese when viewing. The 460nm is used mainly to add blue color to the tank since a true actinic hardly changes the viewing color at all to a daylight bulb in equal wattage. even mine with 460/420 only changes the color of my tank ever so slightly blue. Now if you have a worn out or low quality daylight bulb a 460nm will add a significant amount of blue. I found this out after recently replacing my daylight bulb. Where it used to make a big difference with the new quality bulb it hardly changes the color.

andreyv

Finally found info that I was looking for, thanks Dogstar

Does all color temperature info apply to T5 HO bulbs?
Thanks.