Activated Carbon?

mweezy05

What exactly does activated carbon do??

I understand that it needs to be replaced quite frequently and it can be quite costly.........

Is there any substitutes for activated carbon that are cheaper or can you get by without using activated carbon at all?
Thanks for the responses and help!!!

mopar9012

You dont need to use it 24/7. Activated carbon can help if you need to get something out of your water. Like say you put some ICH med in your tank that wasnt reef safe, you should use the carbon to help get it out.
When you do NEED to use it though, you should replace it every couple days.
Some people use it every once in a while, it helps make the water look nice and clear.

reefer545

It will defunkify your water. It removes, unwanted smells, colors, toxins shed by corals, as well it will trap some unwanted nutrients. It really does not need to be REPLACED so often as it needs to be rinsed out in RO water. Many people will say to only carbon a few times a month or any number of combinations in your tank, but I run a lot ALL THE TIME. It is great. In my 24 I have 3 bags about 3 ounces each, and I clean it weekly. It is worth every penny.

michaeltx

most of the time Yes the pads are the same but needs to be rinsed real good before going near the tank.
The problem with leaving carbon in the tank it will only absorb so much before it will start to release it back into the tank causeing water quality issues.
I only run it occasionally to clear the water and get out some yellowing that occasionally occurs.
Mike

rbrockm1

not to steal or anything but i thought it went along. WHat about that seachem matrix stuff? they say its alot better than carbon. not sure tho. hope you don't mind me asking.

motorcity

Originally Posted by rbrockm1
not to steal or anything but i thought it went along. WHat about that seachem matrix stuff? they say its alot better than carbon. not sure tho. hope you don't mind me asking.

I am in the process of cycling my first salt water tank right now and am using Seachem matrix and purigen in the filter. I would like to hear anyones feedback on these products as well, thanks.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by MotorCity
I am in the process of cycling my first salt water tank right now and am using Seachem matrix and purigen in the filter. I would like to hear anyones feedback on these products as well, thanks.
I like anything made by Seachem; and they have great tech support. Personally, I use Boyd's Chemi-Pure full time. It works very well for me, lasts about 6 moinths, and my water is always crystal clear. (Except when my Porky Puffer eats.) I also keep a supply of GOOD carbon in my "just in case" box- IMO, nothing removes meds, toxins, or possible accidents as well as a good carbon.

florida joe

You may want to careful about running to much AC for to long a time in your tank it will some what act a bio filter and then removing all of it will put a load on your tanks bio filtration until you make up for the lose of the beneficial bacteria