Actual footprint of Octopus Extreme Model 250 ?

jshepherd

Model 250
Height: 24.75 inches
Body Diameter: 10 inches
Footprint: 16 inches X 16 inches
Looking at the pictures if the body is 10" I do not see how they can call it a 16 x 16 footprint. I would guess more like 12" wide and maybe the output tube can be re routed
I have a 16" x 12" area in my sump with a asm g3 with recirc. I am not sure if return policies will allow a test fit and fear it would get scratched trying to make it fit.

joncat24

I have the msx 250. On the Marine Solutions website it lists the footprint as 12.5x14. It is the same skimmer with a different pinwheel and input reducer, and it is cheaper than the octopus also.

jshepherd

Thanks Jon.
I meant to post back up that I found that. I talked to Jeff and ordered one today. He did mention the latest revision has the pumps the tightest together.
My skimmer sections is 12x16 so we will see. If not I have a buyer inline that will take it.
I have a modded asm g3 that is working fine so I am not sure how much better It will be. I am on a 150 g fowlr

peter1215

Jon
how do you like your MSX extreme ?. Im about to buy a skimmer for my 210 and was considering the extreme 250 or 300.

joncat24

Hands down, the best skimmer for the money available. Marine Solutions is great to deal with if you have any questions or problems. Awesome skimmer, without a doubt.

jshepherd

So is the SWC the same unit as the MSX ? they both say the original haha.
In the pics at MSX it has a SWC decal on it. I assume the MSX is cheaper because it does not include a silencer. Or does it ?

jshepherd

Well they are the same it has swc machined into the lid.
But WOW this thing is huge I could not believe how much larger it is than the asm g3 I am still in shock. They need to sit a pop can or something beside them in the pictures for reference.

peter1215

I just visited a friend who has the Octo 300 pro and that thing is a beast. Im going to get the Octo extreme 300 .

jshepherd

Dont even ask how much time it took me to get it to fit haha. If it were an 1/8" wider the pumps would not have fit.

joncat24

Originally Posted by peter1215
http:///forum/post/2950275
I just visited a friend who has the Octo 300 pro and that thing is a beast. Im going to get the Octo extreme 300 .
You do realize that the octo pro uses a different pump than the extremes??

peter1215

yes i do and it cost about $200 more. do you think the ext 250 is enough for a 210 tank or do i need the ext 300?

peter1215

Originally Posted by jshepherd
http:///forum/post/2951057
Dont even ask how much time it took me to get it to fit haha. If it were an 1/8" wider the pumps would not have fit.
Shepherd
what size sump do you have? I'm using a 40g breeder for a sump. hopefully that skimmer will fit.

jshepherd

The skimmer portion is exactly 12"x16" 12" is the absolute minimum it will fit. 1/4" less would be a no go.
I have a dwyer rmb version 10-100 scfm meter coming this week so I will let you know how it goes. For now I am still on the pin wheels.

peter1215

thats good. the area i currrently have for the skimmer is 12.5 x 17. Im confused as to why the company(Ocotpus) list the footprint as 16x16! so what size tank are you running yours on ?

jshepherd

Yes you can fit it then. Allow room to be able to rotate it down into your skimmer section.
Mine is on a 150g which I am sure is overkill.

peter1215

I have a 210g so may opt for model 300. so in the long run do you plan to use the mesh instead of the pin wheel?

joncat24

I am using the MSX 250 on a total system volume of 200 gallons and it is great, I think the 250 can do a moderately stocked 210