Add Sand ot Crushed Coral Substrate?

pokke

Any benefits (ecologically or aesthetically) to adding some Southdown sand to my crushed coral substrate?
I kind of like the idea of an appearance of a mixture, but don’t want to disturb balance later down the road. Since I’m still in the cycle, it might be a decent time to make a change like this?
Just curious!

I have been told it is not a good idea. But have not tried it. Eventually the CC will get back to the top anyway, probably is better to do one or the other.IMO
Maybe some else can elaborate.
MCF

baondayko

Having done a CC to DSB conversion, do the DSB as soon as possible. If you put sand over the CC, the CC will eventually rise to the top. Also, little critters don't like CC.
My $.02
Brock

pokke

Sounds like a "start over" move. Would it be better to complete my cycle and at least save the water for the conversion?
I have read about Southdown sand from the local Home Depot. Any opinions there?

baondayko

How long has your CC tank been up and running? Is it cycled? I used about 80% Southdown sand and about 20% live sand (bacteria only, no critters). There are several different ways to do it, but it all depends on my questions above.
Brock

Just to add confusion to the situation I will throw this out.
CC and DSB both work. I for example am using CC not DSB. One of my LFS also uses all CC in all their show tanks. Do they look nice, absolutely. So the question is....why do you want to switch?
Not trying to talk you out of it, just letting you know that it can work with CC. So before you think it is hopeless because you used CC and you need to start over, just think about it. Its a big job to switch out sand for CC. JMO.
MCF

aftrhrs

How much does the south down sand cost? Is there any use for the CC after you pull it out (sump/refugium) or should that be southdown as well. Sure wish I would have know before I bought all of that CC. I just don't want to throw it out.

pokke

Good looking tank MCF!
Not necessarily looking to switch, but thought this might provoke some decent conversation on the DSB. It seems to be the popular setup these days.
I still wonder if there is benefit to "filling" the gaps in the CC bed with some sand. Or do you think the spaces themselves are beneficial?
I would tend to agree that the CC looks good and all the LFS's around me (Kansas City) seem to use them. It was not overly expensive and hey, it's already there!

Put it in filter bags to help seed you "new" sand bed, and help with the bio-load while the tank is getting overhauled.
You could use it in a refugium I suppose, but a sand bed is probably the better choice for that.
That CC is like a bunch of little bacteria covered bio-balls. Take advantage of it.
MO..........MCF

pokke

OK, here's another question for the board (sick of em yet?)
Could a person purchase some base rock or some very lightly covered live rock (there's another post with a $2/lb source) and seed it with some live sand on top of a CC substrate?
I could pickup 50lbs of good looking rock for around $130 and give it a "boost" with some live sand or other better quality live rock. Over a period of time, this should grow out to cover all the rock in the tank, correct?

fshhub

IMO, sand is much better, but again, JMO
If you are going to switch, now is definitely the time to do it. It will probably restart your cycle, but now would be much much easier than later on. And waiting ti l you cycle completely will not save you any work, bc cycling actually affects the surfaces more than the water as far as growht goes, indirectly affecting water quality.
And replace it all. If you can get southdown, or another aragonite type sand, from a source other than an LFS, it will more than likely be int the 50lbs for 5to10 dollar range.
what is very lightly covered LR? I assume that I know, but cannot see how it affects the price, it sounds more like NONlive rock to me, esp at that price. lightly covered sounds more like a coraline reference, which is one thing I do NOT even consider when purchasing LR. LR will become covered in coraline, and depending on the lighting, will probably change color at least slightly b4 it is over anyhow. AS for the other life, either it is LIVE or NOT, no middle of the road there, so lightly covered generally should not affect price all that much, IF you ask me.

pokke

OK, can a person seed base rock that contains some coraline growth using live sand in a CC bed and expect it to grow? Or am I just trying to save money in an area that I should suck it up and spend it?