Added bulkheads to my tank

beaslbob

FWIW you should be able to adjust so there is no floods when
1) power out
2) power return
3) drain failure (siphon break/blockage)

if not you need to redesign so those adjustments can be made.

my .02

pegasus

I was thinking along that line but when I did this I ended up with a loud suction noise. It was pulling to much air
If you install ball valves on the overflow lines, you can eliminate the gurgling sound. You simply close the valves until the gurgling is gone. It's that simple. It barely changes the flow, but sure makes things a lot quieter.

Only about a gallon comes back when the pump is shut off. As of now the ball valves are shut because I know it will overflow when the pump is off. The bulkheads are my concern because they gravity feed.
Wow... you got those installed really fast! I didn't even have time to finish typing... LOL!!! As I was saying, use the valves to eliminate the slurping/gurgling sound. Start with them both open enough to make both elbows gurgle. Then slowly and gradually start closing one valve until that elbow stops gurgling. Then do the other valve. It make take a few tries to get it right, but once you find the sweet spot, it'll flow about the same as before... but do it quietly.

Wisehart

Lmao yea I'm pretty fast. I didn't think about that. I'll definitely give that a shot. I may start breaking down the sump tonight and get a jump start.

pegasus

FWIW you should be able to adjust so there is no floods when
1) power out
2) power return
3) drain failure (siphon break/blockage)

if not you need to redesign so those adjustments can be made.

my .02
Siphon break with gravity fed bulkheads? Only if the strainers become totally clogged... lol!

pegasus

LOL

I know, I know

But it still could happen especially if you were out of town for the weekend.
True. I have to keep an eye on my strainers. Every once in awhile, a few chunks of hair algae will break loose and find their way to the strainers. When I notice my water level in the tank getting higher than normal, I instantly know what's causing it. I try to keep the hair algae thinned out, but it's behind the rocks in the center of the tank, directly below the center brace. Virtually impossible to get to. :mad:

Speaking of going out of town... my wife wanted me to go with her to Miami to visit her daughter and grand-daughters, but I told her I needed to stay home and tend to things around the house... mainly two Dobermans and two fish tanks. About the second or third day she was gone, I noticed micro bubbles coming into the tanks. When I got down into the basement to check the refugium, the water was critically low in the return chamber. The pumps were beginning to suck air, which was causing the micro bubbles in the tanks. After investigating the situation, I realized that the pressure switch that operates the booster pump had stopped working. If I had been gone, I would have burned up about $600 worth of pumps, not to mention what loss of life would have occurred in the tanks had I not been there. I saved a lot of money by staying home that week, including the expense of going to Miami... :cool:

Wisehart

Well I have resized the walls in the sump. I also added a break of flow in the refugium to change the flow pattern. Now just waiting 48+ hours for the silicone to cure. Thank you everyone for all of the wisdom and story's. Ya'll are great.