adding a compartment to sump

volitan1

What would be the best way to add the partiton to the fuge. Should i have the water go throuh an openening in the middle of the partition as illustrated by the green arrow or over the top as illustrated by orange arrow.
my plan is water comes in to filter sock > Goes into fuge > goes into skimmer > then into return
Any help is appreciated.

bulldog123

Sep(the mod) deleted the website. See told me I can not post it again. Sorry but that is the best sump design out there. You can PM me your email and I can tell you that way but not on SWF.

al mc

If you do some googling you can pick up a couple useful sites. The one that was deleted I would guess would be the best site. A hobbyist in Texas.
Regarding your design. I like to have the water first be cleansed by the skimmer, then go through the 'fuge' section. The fuge is used to grow some
pods and other critters that might be beneficial to your DT inhabitants. Many will be suctioned off by the skimmer if the fuge is before the skimmer.

bulldog123

Originally Posted by Al Mc
http:///forum/post/3067061
If you do some googling you can pick up a couple useful sites. The one that was deleted I would guess would be the best site. A hobbyist in Texas.
Regarding your design. I like to have the water first be cleansed by the skimmer, then go through the 'fuge' section. The fuge is used to grow some
pods and other critters that might be beneficial to your DT inhabitants. Many will be suctioned off by the skimmer if the fuge is before the skimmer.
Do you listen to the podcast?

king_neptune

here is one I made.
notice the pump in the middle..that is the return. Water is fed from both left and right..with the middle as the return. This cuts the water flow in both chambers, yet allows me to have them both combine to the middle. I will have 1100 GPH flowing through my sump...yet the actual chambers will only see 500 on the LR/Scrubber side, and 600 on the skimmer side.
Since my Scrubber design calls for 500 GPH, and my skimmer calls for 600GPH...yet I wanted to maximize the turnover back up top. This was the logical solution.

bulldog123

Originally Posted by King_Neptune
http:///forum/post/3067113

here is one I made.
notice the pump in the middle..that is the return. Water is fed from both left and right..with the middle as the return. This cuts the water flow in both chambers, yet allows me to have them both combine to the middle. I will have 1100 GPH flowing through my sump...yet the actual chambers will only see 500 on the LR/Scrubber side, and 600 on the skimmer side.
Since my Scrubber design calls for 500 GPH, and my skimmer calls for 600GPH...yet I wanted to maximize the turnover back up top. This was the logical solution.
I perfer this method because you can slow your fuge flow with a ball valve.

al mc

Originally Posted by Bulldog123
http:///forum/post/3067116
I perfer this method because you can slow your fuge flow with a ball valve.
I absolutely agree with this. I was commenting on the skimmer versus fuge placement for the OP design where the pump was in the left hand chamber.

king_neptune

correct. i forgot to mention that concept as one of the main perks.
By putting a flow valve above my return..i can close it as needed to "Throttle down" the pump. my drain lines im putting in will handle 1800GPH each side, so ill have the option to do my pump at full throttle(mag1800) and have it exclusively on one side...not going to obviously. Or I can do any combination in beetween, since each drain line will also have its own flow control valve. Its just a matter of adjusting the three valves...1 return line, and two drain lines. And tweaking them till i get it right.
By doing this method, i get two sumps in one, since i can independently adjust flow to either side...granted i used a 55gal tank, smaller tanks limit this technique. But that is just a matter of scaling things down.

bulldog123

IMO it would depend on which baffle and how your setup will be. Over the top on the bubble trap and teeth from your fuge to your return. If your going from right to left. And maybe some egg crate to keep the cheato in the chamber.