Adding A New Clown?

hawkfish203

About three months ago I had my female ocellaris jump out of the tank, so I bought a very small ocellaris in the hopes that they would get along and possibly the little guy would change into a female. Now When I first put him the larger male that had been in there went right after the little guy, but hes keeps going right back to where my male is hosting a very large purple tip anemone. The larger one seems to be going after him less and less. So my question really is will they get along ever or should I just take the small one back out?

btldreef

Ok, how long was the male from the original pair with the female?
You bought a smaller clown to pair up with your male from the original pair in hopes that the known male would change, or that the new fish would be the female?

hawkfish203

I lost the female about three months ago. Well I figured a small clown wouldn't have changed yet to male/female, so i thought that might help the situation. It would then change to a female if there is already a male present. A larger clown would already be male or female so I thought that this would cause them to fight right off the bat.

S

shrimpy brains

There is always aggression in clowns when the arre falling into their roles as a pair. As long as no one is being harmed, you just have to let nature run it's course.
As far as one changing, it will most likely be the larger one that becomes female. All clownfish are male or juvenilles until the need arises for a female, then the largest (most dominant) changes.

1guydude

you guys think it would be possable to introduce a small tomato maybe like 1/2in. to my like 31/2" tomato.....hes like cinnamon color though and all the sm ones at the LFSs are tiny bright red....???? im guessing no, thats why i havent tried it. Sry bout ur fish, dosent matter if its fish or a dog it still suks!

S

shrimpy brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///forum/thread/385077/adding-a-new-clown#post_3376104
you guys think it would be possable to introduce a small tomato maybe like 1/2in. to my like 31/2" tomato.....hes like cinnamon color though and all the sm ones at the LFSs are tiny bright red....???? im guessing no, thats why i havent tried it. Sry bout ur fish, dosent matter if its fish or a dog it still suks!
If you are going to try to add a clown, it needs to be smaller and not have lived alone for a long time. Males can always become female, but females do not change back, and 2 females will kill each other.
I think you could add a small clown of the same species, it may help to rearrange live rock to take away territory protectivness.
Having said that, it is always a risk trying to pair up clowns, sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn"t.
lol Not the best answer, but the best I can give.