Adding a sixline wrasse?

luvmyreef

Ok, maybe someone can help me out. I have a 75 g reef in progress with a yellow tang, perc. clown, purple firefish, royal gramma, and mandarin. My friend is tearing down her 55 g and has a fully grown six line wrasse she wants to give me, but says he is really aggressive in her tank. My question is.....should I add him to mine? I have always wanted one. My yellow tang is mean, and so is the gramma. Think they will fight???
Not sure what to do? Is it a hit or miss? Or since he will be the last fish added, will it be ok? thanks

spanko

Originally Posted by luvmyreef
...Is it a hit or miss? ...
Yuppers, you just don't know what will happen. If it were me and the person that has kept it says it is really aggressive, I would pass.

geckoxp

Ive got a six line wrasse and is doing great in my tank...survived the ick outbreak I had and could care less about any of my other fish. Its always possible that the wrasse in that tank setup a territory and if introduced in another tank with already established fish may not be as aggressive because of the new location....it may be hit or miss but my wrasse is doing great!

luvmyreef

Yeah, I thought that too. But now I have a bigger problem on my hands. My tang, gramma, and clown are giving me issues... I better skip adding any new fishies....
for now...

crypt keeper

it will torment your more peaceful slower moving fish like the firefish and mandarin. Id skip it. I had one kill a yasha goby.

geckoxp

Interesting Crypt...I have had one in my 20g tank a while back and that one didn't seem to care about anything either. I did notice that with my ick outbreak (never adding a hippo again) that my yellow tang wanted the wrasse to pick off the ick but that the only tormenting I have ever seen out of one...
Needless to say if your other fish are giving you problems stick with them...another fish will probably just add to the mess anyways.

crypt keeper

a yellow tang is not a small slow moving peaceful fish. Its a wrasse. They become aggressive. A full grown sixline will try to dominate a smaller tank

florida joe

Ive got a six line wrasse and is doing great in my tank...survived the ick outbreak I had and could care less about any of my other fish
guess that about says it all

florida joe

its not the Docile sixline that’s the problem hobbyists need to be aware of the potential of introducing a real rogue into their tank. BTW I am talking from experience my sixline will attempt to intimidate any and all new comers