Adding Base Rock to an Established Tank

cofishguy

Hi again,
I was wondering if I were to add about 15 lbs of dry base rock to my already established tank, would it experience and large cycle? It already has about 100lbs of live rock, which started out as 50lbs of live rock and about 50lbs of the same dry base rock I am proposing to add now.
I was going thru my garage and found the unused rock in a styrofoam container and figured I could add more rock to my tank. But, I won't do it if it poses unnessary issues for my fish and other tank inhabitants.
Any and all replies are always appreciated.
Thanks,
Ken

barchtruong

you gotta cure the rocks first before adding them in your DT.
Doesn't matter if it's wet or dry.
Put the new rocks into a clean container with saltwater, a powerhead and a heater for 2 weeks. Change out 20% water every 4 days and brush off all the debris before add it in the tank.

hot883

NO< NO <NO If it is base rock then rinse it off and throw it in. There is nothing to die on it BECAUSE IT IS BASE rock. Does NOT need to be cured.

barchtruong

ok, he stated, "an established tank", meaning, it's up and running.
Base rocks or show rocks, it doesn't matter, if it's not cured, it will rock your tank.

hot883

I am not going to argue with you, but there is no need to cure rock that has never been in a tank.
Curing rock insures that it will not create a spike due to die off in the rock. if it has never been in a tank, there is no need to cure.

hot883

If it has never been in a tank it does NOT need to be cured. Rinsed off and put in. He is putting 15 lbs. in a large tank.

travis89

Originally Posted by barchtruong
You are not trying to tell me that base rocks don't have dead stuff or fungus in there???? are you!
Base rock is dried up LR, it has nothing on it. I added 50 lbs to my established 46 without curing with no problem.

payton 350

i agree with Hot883 if it's just base rock then add it, do a quick rinse and scrub then add.....even if it was 15 pounds of uncured live rock you could almost get away with just putting it in after a good scrub off.....just go for it ***)

cofishguy

Thanks for all the replies.
For the record, the base rock I am thinking of putting in has no live stuff or any dead stuff on it for that matter, It's whitish in color an for the most part pretty clean. It looks like live rock after its been bleached and all the stuff scrubbed off pretty clean. I am boiling it in RO water just to be safe and will add a couple of pieces at a time and monitor levels.
Again thanks for all the advice. I kind of figured I could put it in as is after cleaning it a bit, but wanted to get a sanity check!
Thanks
ken

cowfishrule

i have about 20lbs that i will be putting into my tank this weekend.
so glad i found this thread.
i cant boil it, but its been through 2 super hot water soaks already.
its gonna get a good scrub this weekend, and a last dip then it goes in.

1journeyman

I think the confusion here is that some pet stores I've seen sell wet "base" rock. It's really just really crappy live rock.
The key here is that the rock has been dry for months. Nothing on there to rot off.

J

jaybird101

Can any kind of rock (lime stone, concrete, granit...) be used as Base Rock?
Asuming that its clean.

hot883

Originally Posted by jaybird101
Can any kind of rock (lime stone, concrete, granit...) be used as Base Rock?
Asuming that its clean.
No. Some rock will leach chemicals into the sw tank. River stones cannot be used either.