Adding fresh water....

cjworkman

I don't have a drilled tank.
What is the best method to replace evaporated water?
Adding fresh water directly to the tank with a measuring cup seems to disturb my corals.

earlybird

Add it in front of a powerhead and try to do it as much as possible throughout the day so you aren't adding a whole lot at once.
I have a water jug that I have a piece of airline tubing and an air control valve that I use to drip water thoughout the day to minimize my top offs. I still need to top off b/c I haven't gotten the drip rate down to a science and I don't think I ever will b/c there are too many factors involved in evaporation. Would love to have an auto top off system but don't have the room.

pbienkiewi

Are you running a sump ? If yes check your salinity and take a look at where the water level is. Make a line. Add enough RO or DI water if front of the powerheads and fill to desired level.
PS. check salinity every now and then. You get salt creep everywhere which is a loss of salt and not perfectly mixture of salt and water for water changes.

J

jaybird101

Originally Posted by earlybird
I have a water jug that I have a piece of airline tubing and an air control valve that I use to drip water thoughout the day to minimize my top offs. I still need to top off b/c I haven't gotten the drip rate down to a science and I don't think I ever will b/c there are too many factors involved in evaporation. Would love to have an auto top off system but don't have the room.
I use the same method for top offs.
Like you said, evaporation is not constent. And i'm constently adjusting my drips. But it is a cheap method.

cjworkman

Originally Posted by earlybird
Add it in front of a powerhead and try to do it as much as possible throughout the day so you aren't adding a whole lot at once.
Do you have the jug positioned above the tank? or are you using a pump? I wouldn't be able to get the jug permanently higher than the tank.