Adding Live Rock - End of 1st Cycle

J

jhladousa

Hello -
I am nearing the end of my new tank's first cycle (ammonia 0, nitrites still around 1, pH 8.2). I currently have about 50 lbs of lace rock and 2/3 sand, 1/3 crushed coral bottom.
I have two three-stripe damsels and two yellow-tail damsels in the tank right now that will be going back to the LFS once the tank is done cycling.
I would like to add some live rock to the tank in addition to my lace rock. Now, I realize after researching that I really should have done this when I set the tank up but since I didn’t my question is:
Can I add fully cured live rock to my tank at this point or would it be better to wait until the tank is completely done cycling? I realize that there is potential for another mini-cycle after adding the rock so I am wondering if it's better to do it now.....
Thanks

tucker2

Since you will be returning the fish, I would do that first and then add the cured live rock to the tank. Since the rock is cured you may not experience another cycle. Then, maybe wait a week before adding anything else.

J

jhladousa

Thanks - do you think I should wait until my current cycle is finsihed (nitrites down to 0) before returning the fish and adding the live rock?

tucker2

Since you will be purchasing cured live rock I would suggest waiting until the cycle is over before adding the live rock. Taking the fish back now, however, may not be a bad idea. Now that the cycle is in process they are not really needed anymore, plus the high nitrites is not good for them.