Adding live rock to a Fish Only Tank

jmesmcm

I currently have a 39 Gallon Oceanic Reef Ready tank that has been set up for about 2 years as a fish only system.
39 Gallon Tank
Wet Dry Filter
UV Steriliser
Aqua C EV-90 Protein Skimmer
One Actinic Light
One standard light
Stock:
1 hippo tang
1 heniochus
1 long nose puffer
1 bangai cardinal
1 yellow tang
1 picasso trigger
1 maroon clown
Currently all water parameters are good.
I was thinking about adding some live rock to this tank and was wondering if it is a good idea? How to go about adding the live rock? What risks would be associated with adding the live rock. Please let me know.
Thanks in advance.

birdy

Make sure it is fully cured. Add it slowly, one piece at a time, monitor your Ammonia. The biggest risk will be an ammonia spike.

jahlove 420

I agree with everyone. You might want to start
saving for a larger tank though. sounds cramped in your tank. Plus your trigger needs at lest 50 gals by himself when he gets bigger. IMO. you should by a larger tank 75 or bigger, and move the fish that will out grow your tank. Then start adding rock. You will create stress, and cause fights between your fish when you add rock (taking up more space)

deyoe757

Great idea on the live rock...watch out for the trigger. I have on and he picks at the live rock all the time...ripping pieces off...just a heads up...

jonthefb

definatley make sure it is cured. If it is not, add one small piece at a time, and only continue adding when your water params are fine. Just take it slow and be patient!

salty guy

If its not cured or its in question use a rubermaid container with saltwater, heater, and powerhead. Let it go for 3 or 4 weeks the longer the better.
I would sugest this anyway since sometimes things that live in LR you dont want in your main tank

jamesp

Can someone tell us how you know when LR is cured? I know it has to do with the smell. But what are we smelling for?

bigeyedfish

Cured Live Rock should smell like sea water. No stink.Uncured stinks, smells like rotten eggs, the trash can after you miss the garbage man, etc. Currently my basement smells pretty bad cause i am curing about 25 lbs.

salty james

I agree with Everyone. Watch out for the trigger, and add the rock slowly. Uncured stinks, and cured smells like the ocean.
Hope this helps,