Adding Live Rock to existing tank

fishrich

I'm going to be adding about 10 pounds of live rock to my tank. My tank is 2 yrs old and has live rock but I just wanted to add a little more. So my question is should I cure it or would be ok to just put it in being its only 10 pounds. I have about 40 or so pounds in the tank already. Thanks

devil dog

Originally Posted by FishRich
http:///forum/post/2950726
I'm going to be adding about 10 pounds of live rock to my tank. My tank is 2 yrs old and has live rock but I just wanted to add a little more. So my question is should I cure it or would be ok to just put it in being its only 10 pounds. I have about 40 or so pounds in the tank already. Thanks
What size is your tank? I would buy cured live rock either way...

spanko

IMO make sure it is cured though. Don't just take the word of the LFS unless you can say for certain that what you are getting is fully cured and you will not have any die-off in transport. Easy enough to ensure yourself by placing the rock you want to add in a rubbermaid tub with a heater and some flow. Take some water reading for a week or so and see that there are no spikes.

fishrich

I bought cured rock from swf.com.. Im also in Fl so it made it here in a day. I added one small piece to my tank after I rinsed it off. But the rest is in a 5 gallon bucket with a power head. I rinsed it off with salt water and brushed it but my water in the bucket is still pretty brown. I even took out 2 gallons and put a fresh 2 gallons in. So I should test for ammonia correct? The piece I put in my tank is only 2 pounds so Im not concerned about any spikes from it but I didnt want to put 15 pounds or so directly in.

nycbob

if u r buying the lr online, then u cant add them directly into ur tank. if its from a lfs u trust, then u can add the lr directy into ur current setup.

fishrich

I just took the one small piece I added to my tank out. I placed it in the bucket with the others. I didnt want to take any chances. So when should I do a water change on the bucket/ water test? Thanks

spanko

You want flow and temperature in the bucket. Test for ammonia, keep cleaning the rock off and doing water changes. Not really trying to cycle the rock as much as clean it of detritus and dead matter that may not be able to be taken care of in your display.