Adding live rock

ptrant

I have an established reef tank with over 100lbs of live rock and I’m considering adding about 100 more lbs is this too much at once and could it potentially cause strain on the environment? :notsure: From what I understand the more rock the better and more filtration. Are there any other risks associated with adding a large quantity of live rock?

frankthetank

I've never added that much rock at one time, but if cured I wouldn't think it would be a problem as far as your levels are concerned.

ejensen

I would cure cured LR. If that makes any sence. Sites say it is cured but on the trip to your house caused die off. Then being uncured.

ninjamini

When you say it is cured what do you mean.
Is it cured live rock you bought from a store?
-or-
Is it live rock you bought from a fellow reefer.
If its the first then dont even think about putting it in your tank. Its not cured.
If its the second then if you know the reefer do it. If you dont then dont. Here are a few reasons why
ich
pests
mantis
bad snails

ptrant

how would you suggest curing the rock if i end up purchasing it from saltwaterfish.com's site?

rbaldino

Originally Posted by ninjamini
When you say it is cured what do you mean.
Is it cured live rock you bought from a store?
-or-
Is it live rock you bought from a fellow reefer.
If its the first then dont even think about putting it in your tank. Its not cured.
If its the second then if you know the reefer do it. If you dont then dont. Here are a few reasons why
ich
pests
mantis
bad snails
Strange, I did the first just last week and nothing bad happened. Come to think of it, I've done the first many times over the last decade and nothing bad ever happened. I hope the sarcasm comes through pretty clear. Buying cured live rock at a LFS and transporting it to your home isn't going to cause it to suddenly become uncured again. Any die-off is minimal. Really, really minimal. This belief that cured live rock can't survive a short trip home is among the most incorrect things I keep reading on this site.

ninjamini

Originally Posted by rbaldino
...Buying cured live rock at a LFS and transporting it to your home isn't going to cause it to suddenly become uncured again. Any die-off is minimal. Really, really minimal. ....
Your 100% right. Its not die off thats the issue when you move the rock. Its the fact that the LFS, unless they are taking apart a show tank, is not going to truly sell you cured rock. It is far more likely to be some stuff that they just got in over the last week. You also don't have any idea what nasties it carries. Ya know they may even lie to you and tell you "O'yea its cured".

rbaldino

Your 100% right. Its not die off thats the issue when you move the rock. Its the fact that the LFS, unless they are taking apart a show tank, is not going to truly sell you cured rock. It is far more likely to be some stuff that they just got in over the last week. You also don't have any idea what nasties it carries. Ya know they may even lie to you and tell you "O'yea its cured".
Unless your sense of smell completely stopped functioning, it's pretty easy to pick up a piece of rock and tell that it's not done curing. I've lost track of how many different stores I've bought rock from over the years, and none of them has ever tried to pass off uncured rock as cured. As far as nasties go, there's not a whole lot you can do about that besides quarantine the rock, and even then it's unlikely that everything is going to come out and allow you to catch it.

ninjamini

Originally Posted by rbaldino
Unless your sense of smell completely stopped functioning, it's pretty easy to pick up a piece of rock and tell that it's not done curing. I've lost track of how many different stores I've bought rock from over the years, and none of them has ever tried to pass off uncured rock as cured. As far as nasties go, there's not a whole lot you can do about that besides quarantine the rock, and even then it's unlikely that everything is going to come out and allow you to catch it.
OK your right just take new rock from a retailer and toss it into your tank. I am sure that everything will be fine.
Good luck with that.
But for everyone else I suggest that you QT the rock for 6 weeks. You should QT everything that goes into your tank. It will mean a healthier happier tank.

rbaldino

OK your right just take new rock from a retailer and toss it into your tank. I am sure that everything will be fine.
Good luck with that.
I actually have had good luck with that for 10+ years. Three fish, each of them over 10 years old, is testament to that.
Not everyone has a quarantine tank, and other than a few paranoids on this board, I've never had anyone suggest you quarantine cured live rock. And like I said, it's not hard to tell the difference between cured and uncured rock.

aztec reef

Don't be fooled by lfs that say live rock is cured, that's such bull... they go trough a lot of live rock all the time(you're not the only one buying it) and they never finish curing live rock before someone buys it. if it was me i would get 20lbs of lr, put it in a salt bucket with a powerhead for a few days, if there's no ammonia in bucket then it's cured. if not then you have to cure it before it goes in the display tank.
go slow, add a little at a time while checking parameters. you want to avoid ammonia spikes, that can be leathel to animals..

ptrant

Thanks guys, I’ll take it slow, only adding a few lbs, and ensuring that the rock is fully cured, just to be safe I will QT the new rock w/ the bucket and power head it sounds easy and brainless.
Thanks again for everyone’s advise

rbaldino

Originally Posted by ptrant
Thanks guys, I’ll take it slow, only adding a few lbs, and ensuring that the rock is fully cured, just to be safe I will QT the new rock w/ the bucket and power head it sounds easy and brainless.
Thanks again for everyone’s advise

Okay, apparently a lot of people on this site have somehow managed to get fooled into buying "uncured" cured live rock, though it's never happened to anyone that I actually know in the real world. Here's a tip: When you pick out a piece of rock, smell it. If it smells like a rotten egg, it's not cured. If you don't smell anything, it's probably fine. I suppose that's the unscientific method. As for other tips to avoid uncured rock or to minimize the risks... Go back to the store several times and look at thier rock. If you recognize pieces that have been in their curing tank for quite some time, they're probably safe; don't add a whole bunch at once; and keep some ammonia nuetralizing products handy just in case.

aztec reef

what about lr that's more dense like tonga? can you smell that? some live rock doesn't smell as much as other, that's doesn't guarantee 100%.cure or uncure.
if it was all cure than why not added all at once?
as for ammonia neutralizer= try water changes..

rbaldino

Originally Posted by Aztec Reef
what about lr that's more dense like tonga? can you smell that? some live rock doesn't smell as much as other, that's doesn't guarantee 100%.cure or uncure.
if it was all cure than why not added all at once?
as for ammonia neutralizer= try water changes..
I don't think density has a whole lot to do with it. Most of the stuff that's dying, the stuff that you're smelling, is on the surface of the rock. And I've never told anyone that they can't add all their cured rock at once. I only told him not to add a bunch at once if he's concerned that it might not be completely cured. And water changes won't get rid of all the ammonia the way some products like Ammonia-Detox will.

mes1

producta like ammonia detox dont get rid of ammonia completely. they just mask it and make it less fatal....