Adding live rock

tsrogers

I have a 75 gallon tank that has been set up for about a year. So far so good. Most of the fish I have are fairly young and I plan to upgrade to a 125 within the year. I currently have the following in the tank, 1 yellow tang, 1 Blacksaddle Puffer, 1 Bird Wrasse, 1 Spotted Hawk, 1 Sailfin Tang, 1 Flame Hawk, 1 Midas Blenny, 1 Regal Tang, 1 Harlequin Tusk, 1 Niger Trigger, 1 Clown, 1 Humma Trigger.
I have a Turbo Berlin Skimmer, Underground filter with two 802 power heads and a Ehiem 2028 filter. The tank is kept at a stable 75 degrees and I do a 20% water change monthly.
Would I benefit from adding live rock? The tank has been very stable and I am concerened about adding the rock. One of the books I read stated that the tank may become unstable after the rock is added. Since my fish are doing well, I don't want to disturb them.
Thanks for your help.
Tom

ocellaris_keeper

a a 75 gallon tank is too small for all those fish. Glad to see you are upgrading, and no you will not benefit by adding Live Rock at this time.
the fact is your Live rock will cause a cycle of the tank and this will stress your existing fish.
I suggest you get the new tank up and set up your 4" DSB and the live Rock in the new tank, cycle it and migrate your fish in a slow and orderly fashion.
You can use the water in your existing tank as well as the substrate to speed up the cycle process. I would suggest when you do water changes to move the old ater into the new tank a few times to create as close an equal water match as possible to minimize the stress during transport.

pmauro

When you set up the new tank you may whant to leave out the undergravel filter, in the long run you may be asking for trouble, as Bommer says " It's your tank it's your choice"

tsrogers

Thanks for all your input. Most of the fish are quite young and I plan to keep the 75 gallon after I purchase the 125 and split up the fish. I have been testing weekly and have had no issues.
thanks again