Adding Live Sand to an established tank?

lesleybird

No, not at all as it is full of amonia and nitrite reducing bacteria. You might want to get a clean plastic cup to put it in the tank so that it does not cloud up the water for a couple of hours or spill all over your live rock or coral. Lesley

earlybird

Actually it could have a little spike depending on where you get it. If you order it it will have to be shipped and could have a little die off. Best to add it in small amounts if you have it shipped. You could add it with a funnel and hose.

renogaw

I just added 20 lbs of live sand (true live sand) from the lfs, had no ammonia. I would think if you ordered it online you'd have to watch out for a mini cycle, but if you pick it up you shouldnt.

baloo6969

Originally Posted by renogaw
I just added 20 lbs of live sand (true live sand) from the lfs, had no ammonia. I would think if you ordered it online you'd have to watch out for a mini cycle, but if you pick it up you shouldnt.
what did u put it in ur fuge? i'm getting some LS today. How much did you put in if you did..i know you got 20lbs, would that be enough for a DSB in ur fuge?
I havent tested my fuge yet, but the baffs are in and i'm going to "MAKE THE MOVE" saturday.
i need ur email or address to send you your 25c

renogaw

my fuge area ended up being 10x12 and 20lbs only became about a 3-4" sand bed. With the baffles, i can have up to a 6" sand bed so i'll probably add another 10-15 lbs of sand. there's pics on that thread. that's the live sand i just added, it was really great stuff.

dapak83

what if i use the ls that comes in a bag.... ? i used it when i was starting my tank i need to add more so i was wondering the same thing.. it shouldnt hurt anything in the tank.
I THINK

earlybird

Originally Posted by dapak83
what if i use the ls that comes in a bag.... ? i used it when i was starting my tank i need to add more so i was wondering the same thing.. it shouldnt hurt anything in the tank.
I THINK
No but it's not true live sand there's just bacteria in there no critters.

dapak83

where do i get true live sand from?.... i mean the bag stuff i thohought was good.... and even then it shoudlnt have any spikes in the tank rite?

earlybird

where do i get true live sand from?.... i mean the bag stuff i thohought was good.... and even then it shoudlnt have any spikes in the tank rite?
They sell true live sand on this site. It's collected directly from the Keys. This might have a spike, the bagged "bacteria" sand should have no die off.

renogaw

be careful with the bagged sand. it does have bacteria in it, but also remember it has not had much oxygen added to the bag so you may have some anaerobic bacteria formed in there, and yes you may get a spike from it.

dapak83

Originally Posted by earlybird
No but it's not true live sand there's just bacteria in there no critters.
by critters what kind of critters do u mean.. i mean i thought live sand was supose to have bacterias in it to deteriate the waste and lower toxins....what do the critters do?

joojoo

by critters what kind of critters do u mean.. i mean i thought live sand was supose to have bacterias in it to deteriate the waste and lower toxins....what do the critters do?
"Critters" includes different types of pods, worms and snails that shift through the sand and eat detritus.

dapak83

ohh i c.. it is prefered but not nessessary.. since i already have a cleanup crew.... and i think i shud just get something that shouldnt cause a spike ... i dont wanna put any stress on the fish!