adding live sand

I have a 37 gallon tall tank with a crushed coral bottom. I was wanting to add live sand but I am not sure how to go about it. Do I nned to remove the crushed coral or can I leave it on the bottom? Removing the crushed coral from the front would be easy but I do not want to move all of the live rock to get to the back. If I were to remove as much crushed coral as possible couls I then just dump the live sand into an already established tank? and without moving any live rock? how much live sand should I buy? Please help. Any advice is appreciated.
Steven

clarkiiboi

The problem with CC is the sand will settle and the cc will still be on top in time, and therefore may become a trAte factor. I always had sand, I just speak from what I read here. I have had to remove my rocks for other reasons and somehow I always like the end result better, so that could be a plus also. There is a trick to this and it has been done so I'm gonna bump ya again for the experienced ones. :)

T

thomas712

Short version
1 remove as much cc from the front and all sides as you can.
2 attach powerhead with enough tubing to blow the rest where you can reach it an pull it out
3 Watch out for falling rocks if the crushed coral is supporting the rocks.
4 REMOVE YOUR ROCKS and do it right. (If possible)
5 have a water change ready ( just in case) you find a whole lot of nasty stuff that may be in the crushed coral
6 add your sand
7 test your water
hmmmm anything else I missed?
Thomas

junbug1970

i've placed my ls right on top of my cc and has been fine since didn't have to move rocks or anything. my scooter, blenny and clean up crew were enough to spread all of the sand evenly.
Eventully i had to take the rocks out to catch my fish, by then i even out the sand that wasn't level.
I have a 38 gal tank and i bought one 20lb bag of instant argonite live sand. no waiting period
kinda costly $40 per bag

aarone

get alot of southdown, or aragonite and seed it with the LS. it will become live after awhile.

nm reef

Changing from CC to LS can be done...its not a easy or pleasent process...but with a little planning and organization it can be done.
When I made the switch I removed the LR/corals/fish and kept them in ice chests with tank water and PH's for circulation. I wound up removing about 80% of the water from the display and had it stored in several ice chests and 5 gal buckets. Then I simply removed nearly all the CC and replaced it with LS.
The system was a mess...very cloudy and I was certain that I'd destroyed my young lil reef. But by morning everything was clearing and I started replacing the LR/fish/corals....I did use a couple of mechanical filters to help the cloud storm settle.
Bottom line...the switch was among a few of the most positive transitions my reef has gone thru. If and when I establish another system I will definitely start with a DSB and hopefully I'll never have to go thru the process of changing substrates again!:cool:
NMREEF
“...all we are saying...is give Peace a chance!”
nmreef@cox.net