Adding LR after cycling the tank

gwtank

I've had my tank set up for about 8 months now, and only have two pieces of LR that I got from a friends tank (prob about 5 pounds) and a whole bunca lava rock. Has anyone had any problems adding LR after the tank has been set-up? Also, how much LR would you recomend for a 44gal fish only tank?
Thanks!
GW

new

i am adding LR to a inhabited tank now, i currently buy only cured rock from LFS's and add it right to my tank with no problems. from what i have read here #1-#1.5 per gallon is the area you need to get to.

iechy

As long as the rock you put in is cured you will have no problems. If you put in uncured rock then you will have die off and the cycle that follows. If you don't plan on curing it yourself you should buy cured rock from somewhere near you and keep it moist or preferably submerged during transit. If it stays dry too long you could end having significant die off again. HTH

gwtank

Thanks for the info... one of my UG pumps just died last night and I have to purchase a new one so the LR has to wait for a bit!
Thanks again.
GW

gwtank

what is involved with setting up a DSB? How would I do that if I already have about 3 inches of crushed coral in the tank... seems like it would cause a lot of disruption in the tank. Any advice?
Thanks.
GW

new

see if you can get a clean tub that is big enough for tank inhabitants and rock, or several smaller ones, pump the water into these and move everything out of the tank into the containers, remove the coral and ugf clean up as much of the nasty as you can that is left in the tank, add the sand, place a piece of plastic on the sand and refill. i did this without any problems, took me several hours with the help of a 2yr old:)

aqua blue

Placing plastic over the sand while your add the water will help keep the sand bed from being stirred up as much. This will speed up the time it takes for everything to settle and clear up afterwards.
:)