Adding LR to an established tank

reef dude

My tank is just over one year old, I have 8 corals, LPS and softies, and all water params are doing perfect. I was interested in adding some more LR to the tank because i have made a wall that goes exactly half way up, but i would like to make this wall go just about up to the top of the tank, a few inches below the water line. This way i can try some SPS corals that would be right up under the halides/flourescents.
I figured i would need approximately 40-45 lbs of rock to do so. However, i dont want to do this if I will see any type of ammonia spike or nitrite, etc.... or do you think i should just add several pieces of rock per week, over a few weeks, at a slow pace????
-dave

harrysreef

even adding rocks slow over time might give you a small cycle. IMO adding a few pounds every other week should be alright tank has been set up long enough and should handle the load. If possible try to get close to cured rock as possible

entice59

might add a trace of ammonia or nitrates, i would check your levels after adding piece by piece slowly. Like a piece a day

harrysreef

Should be small and no real impact however be sure to check levels. Don't rush and it should be fine. remember the levels won't shoot up right after putting in a piece or two they need to be in the tanbk for a while for the load to be felt.