Adding new fiji rock

dafishlvr

My tank has been set up about 6 months. I would like to add some more fiji rock. I do not have a seperate tank to keep the rock in. Can I just buy this rock and add it to my existing tank? Or will it hurt my tank.

drew2005

All LR will have die off and needs to be cured in a seperate container before adding to your main tank. Without properly curing it, it could set off a mini cycle. You do not want that to happen with livestock in there.

dogstar

If the rock is fully cured when you get it then just rinse it off in a bucket of SW and pull off any loose crap you might see on it. Smell it with deap breath when you get it and if it stinks like dead rotted fish then its not cured and you will have to cure it in another container first. Then theres the the QT issue, but I have never OTed a rock befor.
Tank looks nice BTW.

clownme

dafishlvr said:
My tank has been set up about 6 months.
Your tank looks great!
I would think your tank may want to cycle agian if the rock isn't cured. You could cure it in a trash can...a brand new one of course. I wonder if there is anything in the archives on that. You may want to check
Good Luck!

dafishlvr

Thanks for the encouragement. If I cure it in a rubbermaid container do I need lights? I have an extra power head I can use.

drew2005

Originally Posted by dafishlvr
Thanks for the encouragement. If I cure it in a rubbermaid container do I need lights? I have an extra power head I can use.
no lights needed. just powerhead and heater.

dafishlvr

Forgot to ask important question. :thinking: How long does the rock have to be in the containers before I can add it to my tank. Does it have to cycle. Do I test the water to watch it. Just wondering :notsure:

rivrat

If it's already cured when you buy it if it does cause a cycle it should'nt take more than a week depending on how much you get. Usually only takes about 4 to 5 days. Check for ammonia, and nitrites with cured rock you might only see a very small spike in ammonia and possibly nothing in nitrites/ nitrates. after the ammonia comes down still test for nitrites and nitrates if no spikes in either of them in a few days it should be ready to go.
rivrat

hot883

If you are getting the LR shipped to you then yes, you need to recure it. If you are driving it home from accross town then just cover it in wet newspaper in a styro box and you should be good to go to add once home. I have never had a spike doing mine that way. Great looking tank. BTW.