adding sand to existing setup

nu2salt

i just wanted to know what kind of sand from lowes is safe to add to my tank. i want to increase the sand bed to around 4" if i remove all the rock and corals from the tank can i add the sand or do i need to take out the sand that's already in the tank and then put it back in.
also will this cause the tank to cycle again?
i was hoping for a name brand of the sand.
i'm off to do a search to see what i can find out.

braydonosu

In my opinion there is no sand from Lowe's that will not kill everything in your tank. None of the sand packaged for recreation in marine grade. You need to go to a pet store or an online site and get marine grade sand. I have added sand on top of an existing sand bed before and I had no problem. I did use 'live sand' and I only added about 5 lbs to a 75 gal tank, so there may have been a small cycle, but i could not detect it. I hope this helps a little

renogaw

white castle play sand is good for salt tanks. just make sure the sand is not silica based and you'll be fine.
also, make sure you add only about 1/4" at a time

dinks

Adding new sand to an existing tank can throw it back into a cycle. The only sand I know of that is acceptable to do this with is Nature's Ocean Bio-Activ Live Argonite.

renogaw

adding new LIVE sand that has dried off a little can cause a new cycle.
if you put dry sand, never been live sand, in there's nothing to cause ammonia spike