Adding sand!

new2u

O.K. today I traded my 5 chromis for a bag of southdown (and some cash) and had to move all the LR around to catch them and saw that my sand was FiLtHy so how do I go about cleaning & adding sand? I would really like to avoid major sandstormage

miel

Here's a thought. Do you have a Python cleaning system? Hook it up and clean the existing sandbed. Then while the Python is still running slowly add the new sand with a cup or small bowl to control sand storm effect. You should be able to keep it under control with the vacume power of your Python. Should work IMO.

splashed

Im interested in these answers too. My tank is stocked with ls and lr and lots of livestock, but I would like to add another bag of sand . . . and I am worried on how to do it properly.

miel

Its a vacume system that you hook to your sink. You can vacume and remove water with it without having to lug buckets. Its sold at all fish supply sites. Works great!:D

jenn-e

A python is a long hose that hooks to the sink. It has a valve in it so you can cut it on when you get to the tank, no spills. And it has a gravel vac on the tank end. If that makes sence. Since i guess you don't have one you could prolly also just use a piece of hose and get a siphon going and suck out the top layer of sand, but a python would make it alot easier.

splashed

My Mag 350 has a tube that you connect to the intake of the filter and can clean your sand at your leisure cuz it doesn't remove any water. I highly reccomend it, BUT you have to be careful to not let too much sand get in at once or it will suck it into the filter.

new2u

so wait, it hooks up to the fresh water in the sink how does that work? I have a maxijet that i currently use for water changes sucking water from the tank and pumping it back in would that work too?

miel

The Python can replace water to a tank, but this feature does not work with salt water for obvious reasons (chlorine, etc...) The nice thing about it, is the mess goes right down the drain, and you dont have to worry about sand ruining a pump. The sludge goes out with the water. Just make sure you have sufficient replacement water mixed and ready to go back into your tank. You should have no difficulty vacuming up the sand turbulance from the newly added sand. Just do it slowley:D

julius

Why dont just stir up the sand instead of syphoning it out. I would just use the syphon hose for gravel not sand. I just use a lg cup pour sand into it and get the cup close to the bottom as u can U might still have a light sand storm but should clear up in a matter of hrs.

splashed

If I add ls to my tank - do I rinse it - if yes, how? When I started, of course, I had ls, lr and my tank ran for a couple months before I started with fish, so I didn't rinse anything. I can't imagine rinsing that super fine sand.

nc2tarheel

If I add ls to my tank - do I rinse it - if yes, how? When I started, of course, I had ls, lr and my tank ran for a couple months before I started with fish, so I didn't rinse anything. I can't imagine rinsing that super fine sand.
I rinsed my sand out in a 5 gal bucket for around 10 mins. This was of course before the fish as well. That way I wouldn't make the tank COMPLETLY nasty. You'd be amazed how much you can clean it...

dedwards

You don't want to rinse live sand. Southdown, yes but live sand, no. Live sand already contains bacteria so rinsing it will wash a lot of it out. If you purchase live sand in a sealed bag then you can remove the water in the bag but I wouldn't rinse it, otherwise you might as well just get some Southdown.

dedwards

NC2...I figured you were talking about Southdown but they were asking about LS and I didn't want them to start rinsing their LS because they would end up with some expensive base sand... :)