Adding Sand

cedarreef

In my 46g mixed reef I have a very shallow sand bed already. It's probably only about 3/4" deep. I want to make it a little bit deeper, but I don't know if adding the dead aragonite sand I have to it will cause any adverse effects. Can I just add the dead sand on top of the existing sand?

novahobbies

I've done this before. You have to go slow, adding sand either only in very thin layers or only in one spot at a time. If you add a lot of dead sand over your entire live sand bed, you risk killing much of your aerobic bacteria (more sand, = less oxygen reaching the existing bacteria, get it?). You can either add a small amount of new sand over the entire bed, like 1/4 to 1/2 inch at a time, or you can just add small piles in the back of the tank and spread them out later after the bacteria has had a chance to colonize.
I added more to the back of my 110 about 6 months ago. I used a spare piece of 2-inch pvc that was long enough to reach the bottom of the tank and still stick out the top. I funneled dry sand through the pvc and used it as a guide to put the sand right where I wanted it. I hardly had any clouding at all....worked like a charm.

ryancw01

+1. I recently did this. Probably was not as careful as I should have been, but I did half one day and the other half the next day.

cedarreef

Sounds good. I'll add little by little each week until I get my desired depth. Thanks for the great replies!