Adding two clowns

infalable

Ok finally my first fish. I will be adding two new clowns to my 46 gal bow. I will prob add cinnamons (sp). I have done a search on clowns, but I did not find any info on feeding them. Can anyone provide a link or describe your feeding process to your clowns. Thanks.

birdy

If they are tank raised (which most are anymore) then they will eat just about anything, flake food, frozen, they are omnivores and will graze on algae. I feed everyother day, clownfish are characters and will know that you bring the feed and will in a way beg for more food, do not be fooled every other day is plenty for feeding if you have LR they will eat stuff off of the LR so no worry about them starving.

infalable

Thanks Birdy. For flake food that is easy to feed. But how do you feed brine shrimp that seem to be popular? Are they in cubes and you just toss them in? I have read that a varied diet is best. Thanks again.

crazy8

Brine comes in frozen cubes (keep in freezer-- duh) and freeze dried cubes in shelf packages. I use the frozen as do most I assume (fresher). I only have a couple fish so I usually cut the cube in half and keep the other half in a ziplock with the rest of the food for the next day.
My clown LOVES the brine. Plus I have found that my green mandarin will eat it occassionally too.
If you go to your LFS, you will see that they have a variety of brine, blood worms (which I have read you shouldn't really use as these are freshwater creatures which wouldn't be a natural food in a saltwater fishes diet.) and different formulas ready to go. Buy a couple of these that the LFS recommends.
I can also tell you that I was surprised to find out that Petsmart even carries the frozen brine that I prefer to buy at my LFS but surprisingly sold it for more than my LFS. I didn't think my LFS could be outpriced on the high side!!

S

sinner's girl

with frozen brine, we just use a knife and scrap some off and give it to the fish. 1/2 a cube is way too much for my two fish, maybe at best I feed an 1/5-1/6
mine love the bloodworms (about 1/4 a pack for the fish), I was told by a few people here to feed bloodworms but now i've heard twice not to...my fish like it and are alive...I'll have to look into it more. the box shows a picture of a clown on it.
the clown also liked the algea sheet i feed when we had a tang
varied diet is best, i try to feed once a day, sometimes twice, the clown does beg for food...I don't worry though if I'm not home to feed them.

crazy8

No prob. I am only about 1 month or so ahead of you. I have had pretty good luck so far. I started with a clown and a damsel. Get tank raised if you can. I don't know which are the most hardy, but I like the Nemo looking Oscellaris the best. Bright white stripes and a bright colored body. Tomato's seems to be tank raised mostly too from what I have seen.
Good luck and keep us posted to how your setup is coming. I know you have been patient since I have read most of your posts, so now is the time when it finally gets to pay off.

crazy8

Yeah Sinners. I am feeding 5 "small" fish from that cube. Really 4 if the Green Mandarin doesn't get any.
Also, I have found that putting the 1/2 cube in the turkey baster works pretty well. Stick in the cube, load it with water and let it dissolve some. They like getting it broken apart much better than having a frozen cube to pick at. More trouble, but I love to watch them eat anyway.

reefnut

I've been told that frozen brine are like potato chips, good to eat but not very good for you (or in this case, good for your fish).

crazy8

Reef, the nutritional value does vary on the brine from what I have seen too. I don't really know the specifics of what it takes, but if you have enough variety in your feedings, you should easily compensate.

austinreef

I think mine would eat a hot dog if I would let him! I alternate feeding formula 1 and 2, Prime reef and Mysys shrimp. Like the above posts, they are not real picky..

reefnut

They are made by Ocean Nutrition. Formula One is an all around good food. It comes frozen, flakes and morsel.
Formula two is also good, it is made with extra algae... It's really good for tangs and such.
I use Formula Two and the fishes love it.
I agree with the above comments, a variety diet is the best.

crazy8

Just remembered the other food I use....called Marine Cuisine. I use that, Brine, and Formula 1. I don't have algae eaters, so I don't use Formula 2 yet. All of mine are frozen but I plan to try some flake food soon. But right now, the frozen works better because some of it will sink to the firefish (which hides a lot around meal time) and the mandarin.