Adding Uncured live rock?

I was wondering if it would be ok to add 14 lbs of live rock to my 55 gallon tank I already have about 30 LR. The tanks been setup for almost a month the ammonia and nitrite have when down to 0ppm, and the nitrates are around 0-5ppm. I have a lot of brown algae growth. I have 5 damsels and just added the SWF 10-20 gallon cleanup crew. Would the crabs, snails, and two peppermint shrimp be ok? The last LR I added there seemed to be very little die off. I have a skilter skimmer. Marineland dual Biowheel and and old regent carbon filter? Also is this to much filtration? Since nitrates are so low? Sorry so many questions!
THanks

D

diatom

Head~
If you put 14 pounds of uncured LR in your tank you'll start the cycle all over again. I'd cure it in a rubbermaid containter if I were you.
Also the skilter you have is very undepowered for a 55 gal.
Also you can never over bio filter your water

ssnake

I would cure it first, myself.
There is another alernative. About two yrs ago, I decided I needed more rock. I found out that you can purchase base rock for about 1/4 the price of uncured lr. I bought a couple of chunks, and in about 6 months it had hard shelled feathers on it, and was covered in coraline algea. Some of my mushroom corals decided to live on it also.
So I bought more of it - base rock and limestone - and have doubled my LR for under 20 dollars. Just took time.

flydan

Hey,
I would agree that you should cure it in a seperate container first. Then add it in about 4lb chunks. (Add one piece, wait a few days and add another.) That is the safest way to prevent your tank from cycling again.
Dan'l
[ November 25, 2001: Message edited by: FlyDan ]

bhav_88

SWF.com cures the rock, right? Would it be ok to just add that to the tank or do I absolutely have to cure it to be safe?

D

diatom

Because of the die off during shipping you really should re cure it when it gets to you. If it's Pre-cured it shouldn't take too long.

Another way to go is look in your local papers classifieds to see if anybody is selling an aquarium. If it has been setup for a while it would already been cured. You can buy it for a good deal and get some cool creatures right off the bat.

I am sorry HeadAboveWater, if it says that, they should be sued for false advertisement. :eek:
BTW, welcome to the board. Now you can research all those purchases BEFORE you buy. Maybe you won't end up with a basement supply store. ;)
HTH
Hermit

Have you tried one Up North Hermit?
It seems to work fine so far. Plenty of foam and dark green stuff and thick green water in the tray thing.

Yes, I have had one of those. In fact, it was the first skimmer I ever bought.
If it is working for you that's great. But, IMHO, it would never be enough for a 125 gallon tank. Sure it will work and constantly be producing, but it would do this on a 20 gallon as well.
I am not trying to be anything but honest here. Serious hobbyists would not use this skimmer on their reefs. Mostly beginners buy this equipment, only to inevitably upgrade later. Why do you think aftre all these years I have a "basement suppy store", literally?
BTW, you have received good advice on the rock. I have added rock to my reef, only cured, and only small pieces at a time. Much better to be safe than sorry.
HTH
Hermit