adding water to tank

lightfoot

I have to add water to my tank about every 3 days, should I premix the salt with the water and store it until I need to add. Is there a better way. I would like to know what everyone else does in this situation

tacks

Sounds like your adding for evaporation, ie; every three days. Water evaporates, NOT SALT. As the water evaportes, your salinity will go up. Add only fresh water. If you keep adding salt water, your salinity will become extremely high. Good Luck

guppie

You don't need to add salt, salt does not evaporate only the water, just remember to declor it. How long have you been adding salt you might want to check your salinty. Good Luck

pacifica

Its easily water evaporation.
I have a 18 gal clear container in my stand for my 125 gal. I place ro water in it and have a pump / sensor setup to fill the sump/refugium when my water evaporates.
Its basically maintenance free. We lose about 3 gallons a day in our 125 with the 25 gallon sump/refugium which is pretty impressive. I have a mark set on the clear container when its down to 5 gallons, so we know when to add water. I occasionally lower the timer on the lights on my sump/refugium when I go out of town to bring up the evaporation rate since my personal helpers who feed my fish want have to add water. Heat (lights) speeds up evaporation you know.
Hope this helps.