Adequate Ca and alk?

reef dude

Ok, i just sat down and measured my Calcium and alkalinity 2 times each, in order to verify the results:
alk = 4.0 meq/L or 11.2 dKH
Calcium = 400 ppm
pH = 8.3
Recently my calcium has been impossible for me to raise. Ive been adding liquid calcium EVERY night ever since my calcium was at 350 ppm for about 3 weeks now. For the first 2 weeks i saw no rise in Ca. Then a week later(Today) i tested Ca. and its at 400 ppm. Should i keep adding the liquid Calcium and should i bother trying to raise my alkalinity a little bit?
Basically, are these levels where they should be at???

reef dude

BTW, I just purchased a container of kent marine super dKH buffer and i am debating wether to use it or not....

reef dude

every time i put up a post like this, no one replies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! come on guys! i just want a lilttle feed back

broomer5

reef dude
If you don't have a lot of hard corals that are using up the calcium and carbonates, then once the levels are established - they will not drop fast over time.
Many people would love to have your readings.
They are not bad at all.
What is the "Ideal" set of numbers anyway ?
There is no ideal set - it changes around a lot for every tank.
Many times it depends on what's in the tank, the additive program one is using and other factors as well.
Plus I always figure in a test kit inaccuracy fudge factor too.
So you're calcium could be 380 to 420 ppm the way I figure it.
If you're concerned with the calcium being "too low", and it won't budge off of 400ppm, I would continue adding the calcium.
But what form of calcium are you adding ?
What is the brand and name ?
Is it calcium chloride or some form of polygluconate calcium ?
I would not add anything to raise your alkalinity at this time.
It's pretty good really.
pH is great

shnookums

IMO,
everything looks good, most people try to keep alk range from 7-9 DKH so your in pretty good shape, it will come down over time keeping your calcium at a stable number. good luck ant keep us posted.:)

saltyrich

Based on brommer's discussions of the relationship between cal-alk-ph. It seems to me that you can't raise the cal because the alk is good, but I think a little on the high side. I wouldn't really worry about it. As stated, the levels are pretty decent.

spruce

What is the link to Broomer's post about the relationship of Alk, PH, and Calcium? I would love to read it.
Thanks,
B

reef dude

thanks everyone!
I am currently using liquid calcium from kent marine. Thats all that i have been using. for about 2 weeks straight however, i was dosing with kalkwasser but i did not see any improvement, so i went back to just using liquid calcium.
Right now the only coral i have is frogspawn and i plan on getting mostly soft corals.