Adequate Light for sps?

jerryatrick

Originally Posted by KQ25
http:///forum/post/2899887
What is enough light for sps.I have a 29g with 130 watts.Just wondering.
130 watts is typically Power Compact. I would not use power compact lighting for SPS. How long is the 29 gallon tank? Most are 30 inch. Look for a T5 HO fixture that has 4 or 6 bulbs that have individual reflectors. Another option would be a single 150 watt metal halide.

stanlalee

130 watts of pc (65w x2) not enough
96 watts of decently reflected T5 h.o. (4x24w) enough
forget pc when it comes to sps. even if you had 65wx4 bulbs you couldn't keep colors and growth like they should be. the bulb output is fine but the inability to reflect them well because of the twin tube shape makes them a bad choice for sps even if you can put rows of them across the tank. the cheapest fixture I can think of that would work well is the 24wx4 SunDial fixture for about $200.

aquaknight

All you can do is brown. Most Montiporas will live fine under PC's, but they will brown out. I had a Monti cap in an identical setup, a 29gal with dual 65watt PC's that grew and encrusted nicely, but it was the most boring brown color. With so many nice LPS choices that will work with PC's, I'd stick to them if you don't want to upgrade lighting.

kq25

Ok.cool.Just wondering.I take it then for my 75 gallon aquarium that 780 watt metal halide will be ok then?

kq25

Ok.I am going to get my 75 gallon up soon.Probably within in the next three months.

steelytom

780w of mh lights will generate a lot of heat. That may be a bit excessive. I am also curious what combo you used to get 780w.

kq25

Wow.That sucks for that guy.I got my 130 watt 30in pc lighting fixture from them though and it is amazing.