Adopted Fish Compatibilty??

try2wryte

First off, I think its awesome that while perusing the fish I could not afford right now I stumbled upon an adoptable puffer. Free Adoption...woo hoo.
He's a Dwarf Puffer and apparently he was freshwater or brackish before being fully converted according to the LFS. He's now a happy saltwater fish.
Anywho... what once was a mere rock farm now has life, at least a little at a time over the past 2 months so here's the line up so far...
(New) 1 Dwarf Puffer
(New) 1 Pink Urchin
(New) 3 Large Turbo Snails
(New) 1 Chocolate Chip Starfish
(Start Up) 1 Pencil Urchin
(Start Up) 2 Black & Silver Striped Damsels (mean they killed the 3 Dominoes they were purchased with)
(Start Up) 1 Red Serpent Starfish
(Start Up) Handful of Blue and Red leg Hermit crabs ( Those that survived the Seprent Star when they were the only things in the tank. )
(Start Up) Couple Cerith & Astrea Snails (Also survivors of Hungry Serpent Star... I don't Think I Like him very much)
I now have about 90 lbs of Live Rock compared to previous 20 lbs.
What else is compatible with my new puffer. What do I already have that isn't safe. I want clowns but now I think they are a No-No with my puffer and mean damsel, But I would boot the Damsels in a heartbeat for Clowns.
Also I was thinking Snowflake Eel because they seem the most docile while still being pretty. It's a 95 Gallon Surfline so theres lost of Vertical and Horizontal room to swim.
Any advice welcome!!!!!
TTYL

ophiura

What do you feed the serpent star?
I personally don't care for those brackish water puffers in saltwater tanks. they can be very nippy towards other fish. It is a big tank so you may be OK with other fish but it is always a risk. Personally I would set up a tank for it. Thankfully it is small, or it would otherwise be a threat to many of your invertebrates (puffers are predators of many inverts like snails, hermits, shrimp, crabs, seastars, etc...)
Your chocolate chip starfish is more predatory than the serpent and will eat the snails and probably hermits over time, unless it too is spot fed (though that may not keep everything safe).
Your damsels could be an issue with clowns though again it is a relatively large tank. Still would want to watch for aggression. Do you intend for this to be a reef? I am guessing not with the chocolate chip and pencil urchin. You can get away with a variety of things really, again so long as the damsels and puffer don't get nippy. What fish do you like or want to be the "centerpiece?" You mention an eel...are you set on that or just considering?

ca161406

ive got 2 green spotted puffers and they get along with all the peaceful fish, and can stand up to the bullies without a prob. they will most def. eat the hermits and snails over time. i have a few stars in my tank that learn to only come out at night. they were also rescue fish :)

try2wryte

Originally Posted by ophiura
http:///forum/post/2926057
What do you feed the serpent star?
I personally don't care for those brackish water puffers in saltwater tanks. they can be very nippy towards other fish. It is a big tank so you may be OK with other fish but it is always a risk. Personally I would set up a tank for it. Thankfully it is small, or it would otherwise be a threat to many of your invertebrates (puffers are predators of many inverts like snails, hermits, shrimp, crabs, seastars, etc...)
Your chocolate chip starfish is more predatory than the serpent and will eat the snails and probably hermits over time, unless it too is spot fed (though that may not keep everything safe).
Your damsels could be an issue with clowns though again it is a relatively large tank. Still would want to watch for aggression. Do you intend for this to be a reef? I am guessing not with the chocolate chip and pencil urchin. You can get away with a variety of things really, again so long as the damsels and puffer don't get nippy. What fish do you like or want to be the "centerpiece?" You mention an eel...are you set on that or just considering?
I feed everybody a food processed mix of shrimp and veggie matter right now. With a mini chunk of shrimp twice a day to the puffer. The puffer is also a green spotted not necessarily a dwarf upon further research. Everything is up in the air though as corny as it sounds I really want the clown and hippo tang, those were the reason I resolved to enter the hobby in the first place. And mandarins are just pretty as hell so I would like those. I'm not in love with the damsels and would have no problem getting rid of them.
Since the puffer is adopted I wouldn't cry over losing him if I had to adopt him away. Though for now, I have a lot of tank and very little busy fish so I like watching him when he comes out to play.
I thought of the Snowflake only because they are relatively small and from what I've read among the least aggressive, but that's not a must have. I'd get rid of all of them for a pair of clowns and a Hippo Tang I think. I would actually like multiple clowns but I've gotten mixed messages on that being safe. I was told by two different LFS that I could comfortably house 3 or 4 pairs of clowns in my tank and they'd leave each other alone as long as none of them were marroon clowns and there are plenty of hosting sites

C

calvertbill

You seem determined to stock your fish hotel with a collection of Jeffery Dahmers. The starfish and damsels were bad enough, but now a snowflake???
I know where there's a 9" Volitan for sale, it sounds like he'd be perfect!
The cute little snowflake will grow!

paintballer768

Buddy of mine has a 210 gallon, I think it is, and has 2 pairs for percula clowns in the tank, one mating regularly and the other just hosting the same coral. Even in that large a tank with only 2 pairs, they still scuffle occassionally. I would definitely not put more than 1 pair in a 90 gallon, to be on the safe side. Theyll defend their hosting site from other fish as well, not just clowns/damsels.