Advanced Reefers .. Help!! Infestation of Tiny Nuiti's con't ..

sdascher

Hey again ....
Geez... I really have never seen this but in the hours that have just passed by since I posted the thread on infestation of tiny nudibranches .... I decided to pull the colonies of rocks out that I figured looked infested one at a time a shake them in fresh water for a few seconds to see what drops out ... of course tiny nuti's one to 3 on each BUT more important now is after really close examination, lots of the polyps has what looks like eggs under their flesh?? Maybe another problem ...... What do I do??? I need some advice on this one, because I've never seen this before.
Thanks

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I saw your other thread. There are so many thing on LR that there is no way of knowing. Don't get paranoid, however. And don't dip your LR in FW. FW will kill LR fauna...that which you paid so much money to have. Most everything on LR is beneficial. You don't want to devastate your populations of beneficial fauna, algae, etc.

sdascher

Hi Everyone!
This is what I did so far .... the nano tank and a 55g reef .... I removed any of the polyp rocks that has this "stuff" growing in the flesh and dipped them for 10 minutes per instructions with Seachem's Reef Dip ... Coral disinfectant. Surely can't hurt them. Today I have a bigger job, a fully loaded 75g reef with tons of corals that have signs of tiny nudibranchs and some polyps with this "stuff" growing on them. Everyday I look for the nudi's and pick out what I see with tweezers .... today I will dip every coral in that tank starting at one end, just a few at a time.
So glad that the 125g is not stocked at this time!!!!

Other than keeping my eyes out for more nudi's over the next few weeks, I really don't know what else I can do. I am hoping that the reef dip will show some signs of healing the polyps. I have read lots of articles, but I couldn't find any info. about if I should re-dip just the infected polyps a second time in a week or two... three???
Anybody know anything about this or have used this coral dip before??

sdascher

Hey again ... Yep, I've been watching those polyps!! Mystery is solved, These thingy's in the polyps, ( the pic ) ladies & gents are ..... egg sacks! I couldn't stand it anymore and I opened one, white goo puffed out and then this baby creature, leaving a huge hole. It has big eyes for so small of a creature, I have to use a 10X loop to be able to see it. It has a long curved tail, and he looks like a small shrimp with antenna's, it looks just like those tiny shrimp looking pods that go racing around the tanks!! Could it be??? Is this how they lay their eggs??
If I didn't cut it out myself, I wouldn't have believed it!
So .... I knew that the tanks were healthy, but darn .... I don't want eggs all into my polyps .... I have a scooter who has a hard time catching them to eat them .... because they are fast!!
4 tanks folks .... what can I buy to cut this population way down??? I know about the mandarin, anything else??
http://homepage.mac.com/sdascher/Pics/DSCN0029.JPG

sdascher

Found one more nudi .... I am winning this battle!!!!!
Second problem with the polyps .... they never looked bad at all ... I think that it just so happens that the nudi's like the polyps, or maybe I wouldn't have found this problem until they were dyeing or at least not opening up ....
More research & testing has me believing that the critter that came out of the one polyp during surgery ... was just a lucky draw, because I opened a couple more and it was just gook. I also have already dipped them in a bath for 10 minutes using Reef Dip ( iodine dip ) and they look the same - healthy-!!
So now my friends - this is my solution .... I am going to closely inspect ( again ) every polyp that I have in the 4 tanks ( may take me all day .. 1,000 plus! ) and every one that has this fungus/whatever, Dr. Dascher is going to surgically remove the fungus, paint on iodine directly to the injured area, do the same for all polyps on the rock and soak each again in a iodine bath! The great thing about polyps is that they are really tuff guys!!
All of my patients will be pulled fron the various tanks and placed in the same tank when I am finished so that I can monitor them closer .... every day.
I will let you know in the future ... a week or so, how this all turns out!