Advice and pics for new build!

JD1979

Does anybody on here have any pics or advice on how to plumb my tank and ideas on the wet/dry system I should use? this will be live rock and fish only tank. So my question is the setup with the overflow do I go high or low with the drain into the sump? Do I use a quiet betty? Do I build my own sump or go with a $250 prebuilt from local builder that has bio balls? Any advice is appreciated!
20180115_102917.jpg

Jesterrace

What size is the tank? What is your budget? This will give us a clearer picture of what kind of setup to recommend.

geridoc

Building a sump from scratch is so easy that it would be a shame to pay $250 for one. Just get a tank on sale (***** usually runs sales at $1.00/gallon) and some plexiglass to glue in as bubble traps/dividers. You can use bioballs, but you don't have to. Bioballs are highly aerobic, so you will gradually accumulate nitrates in the system. For a fish only system this is not a problem since fish tolerate fairly high nitrate levels in the water, and water changes will limit that. However, if you just make a 3 compartment sump with additional live rock in a larger center compartment you will have plenty of water processing bacteria, and slight anaerobic conditions that will actually remove some nitrates. It doesn't have to be fancy ($$$) rock, just rubble will do.

Jesterrace

I agree that paying $250 for a sump is insane. I bought mine used, but paid $250 for a sump with Protein Skimmer, Return Pump, Tank Stand, and virtually all the plumbing for the sump and tank.

kgrimes

What's in the basement right under the tank? If possible, would be awesome to put everything down there...

kgrimes

Sorry.... I meant would be awesome to put all the equipment in the basement and keep the tank upstairs.... That's what I did and allows for a ton more room...work table, lighting, RO water setup and seamless sump system with skimmer, heater, UV sterilizer etc all out of sight and no noise in the living room.

geridoc

I converted my 110 gal high into a 3 compartment sump and put it in the basement. I have the skimmer, algae turf scrubber, ATO and some rock down there, so the only equipment in the display upstairs are 2 heaters and 2 powerheads. I love being able to reach everything in the sump without climbing under the tank.