Advice for 25g hex SH tank

mcbdz

Ok, Need advice on 29g hex for sh.

It has be up and running for a few months with only clean up crew. There are tons of pods. I have an over flo filter and a ph. I'm afraid the circulation is too fast. I have macro that constantly moves and when I add food a couple of times a week the food stays suspended for almost an hour. I guess that part should be good. Is this the best way to circulate this kind of tank or is there some other better way. At least I don't have dead spot but the water does go in one direction. I'm afraid if I added another ph it would be way too much turbulance.

zeke92

if you have a ph that has a knob to change power, just lower it a bit. i only have one ph on my 55g. just enough to keep water circulating without being much for the horses.
i'd just eithr leave it how it is or maby lower it a tad if it's too strong ina small tank like that.
your gona want to get something for them to hitch on, i'd suggest, live or dead, gorgos, or kelp/seagrass/eelgrass.
if you have a protien skimmer, only run it a little bit a day since the tank has pods and such. cause the pods will eat smaller stuff, and the smaller stuff eats the smaller stuff wihc may get taken u by the filter.

mcbdz

I can't adjust this ph. May just leave it. I have my different macros in there, kind of using it like a fuge for now. Plan on adding some gorgonians and needed fake plants. I also have live rock and coral skeletons. I don't have a protein skimmer yet. I know I'll get one befors the horses. It made such an improvement on my reef I know it works. Also not sure which kind would be best for this tank yet. I like the kudas and the erectus. Think I'm leaning torwards erectus, but notice most have kuda. Later I'll have to start a new thread discussing which kind people perfer, and why maybe.

zeke92

your gonna wanna get a small species for a 25g. erectus, or smaller. kuda gt pretty big from what i hear and may nto do too good in a small tank like htat.

teresaq

both Erectus and Kuda are about the same size, (5-7 inch, E, and 4-7 inch K) both require the same size tank. at least 18 inch tall, 20 to 25 gal. for one pair, so Either species would work in your tank. I have found Erectus to be lazy. They arent as active as Kuda. If you dont plan on breeding it would be better to get two females. Erectus are easier to raise, kuda are very hard.
TeresaQ

monalisa

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
both Erectus and Kuda are about the same size, (5-7 inch, E, and 4-7 inch K) both require the same size tank. at least 18 inch tall, 20 to 25 gal. for one pair, so Either species would work in your tank. I have found Erectus to be lazy. They arent as active as Kuda. If you dont plan on breeding it would be better to get two females. Erectus are easier to raise, kuda are very hard.
TeresaQ
Teresa,
Would you mind explaining the differences in raising erectus and kuda? As you know, I have 4 kuda...I would be interested in how different they are.
Thanks!!
Lisa

teresaq

I have no experiance raising them but have done tons of research. One thing about erectis, is they hitch at birth. Kuda are much smaller and require a special fish bowl type tank. I believe the both take the same food, but from what I have read, its hard to get kuda to the stage of hitching. I have seen sucessful people but it takes many batches, and trial and error. The best place for this info is SH.org. Talk to tim, Micky or danu for erectis, and there are several that raise Kuda.

monalisa

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
I have no experiance raising them but have done tons of research. One thing about erectis, is they hitch at birth. Kuda are much smaller and require a special fish bowl type tank. I believe the both take the same food, but from what I have read, its hard to get kuda to the stage of hitching. I have seen sucessful people but it takes many batches, and trial and error. The best place for this info is SH.org. Talk to tim, Micky or danu for erectis, and there are several that raise Kuda.
Cool, actually I've corresponded with Tim and Micky in the past for situations that I needed cleared up, so to speak.

Thanks!!
Lisa