advice needed for goby/shrimp choices

krishj39

I've got a 12g Aquapod. What shrimp goby/ pistol shrimp combinations do you guys recommend? Since it's such a small tank with so few inhabitants I'd like something with a good amount of color and/or personality. If I get these it would be specifically for the symbiotic relationship too so I'd want two species that are very likely to form a relationship with each other. What do you guys have? What's worked? Do you have photos?

schadiest1

I kept a watchman and a tiger pistol shrimp for some time. Great color and great relationship, the only draw back was I rarely saw them. They built their home under some rocks/sand and only came out to feed, sometimes not even then.

scsinet

I've kept the same combination twice, one in my big reef, one in my nano.
One combination paired up until the shrimp died a year later, and the other the shrimp and goby have been in the nano for 18 months and have never paired up.
It's kind of touch and go.

M

metalhead

i see at lfs that gobies and shrimp already pair up, mabie you should try and look for a previosly established pair???

bschaible

yeah, you can usually find pre-paired specimens. i'd go with the high-fin goby and pistol shrimp. the high fin is beautiful but is sorta skittish....i think on this site its referred to as a barbershop shrimpgoby

krazekajin

I have a barbershop goby and pistol shrimp in my 10g nano. I don't see much of them, but they are some of my favorite fish. I enjoy the relationship between fish and shrimp.