Advice Needed!!

sdascher

I currently have a 125g reef that has CC - its been set up for over a year. At the time that I set it up, I was given bad advice and its not really set up correctly!! I have purchased Play Sand & Live Sand, next to remove all rocks, (all soft corals) & fish - clean up the mess - throw away the underground filtration system, and place the new sand in. I figure that this is going to be a mess, so I purchased a 55g w/stand and set it up next to the 125. I plan on filling it with water from the 125, place my softcorals & my buddies in this tank, while I clean up the 125g (maybe for a few days) - The REAL advice that I need is after all is done, I was thinking of making the 55g into a sump for the 125!!! I have so far purchased an overflow box and a over the side kit ( so that I won't have to drill holes) Here's where I get lost ....... I have a skimmer, UV, to move onto this tank, I now have 2 Emperor 400's, I was thinking of keeping one on the 125 and maybe one on the sump?? I would also assume (Ha Ha) that I will need 2 exact power heads for the flow out & the return flow - As you can tell, I'm a little confused!!!!

you won't need a power head for the flow out, the ph for the return flow will overflow the tank so that the water will go into the overflow unit to go into your sump
just make sure that the return flow power head's gph is not higher than the prefilter's gph rating
you really won't need the HO filters anymore
just get an extra PH (small one) to place in stagnant areas
you can use the 55 as a sump and a refugium to save some money
if you have a skimmer that you can put into the sump, go ahead, i have a red sea berlin in mine right now
good luck

E

elan

you have a UV filter on a reef tank??? i dont think that is suggested.. it may kill much of the organizms your corals are filterfeeding.