advice needed

huckleberry

hi. i am planning to move to tucson, AZ from bloomington, IN. i have a 55 gal saltwater set up with:
2 clowns
2 cleaner shrimp
1 blood red shrimp
2 pepper shripmp
(yes, i LOVE shrimp- very cool to watch)
3 emerald crabs
1 domino damsel
1 yellow tang
3 chromis
and two bangel cardinals
anyone give me advice as to how to move these guys to AZ?
i have a deep sand bed (about 3 inches) and about 70 lbs of live rock...
also, can any one give me any info on the Orange Lakia (sp) starfish SWF.com has on special this week? is it friendly, will it eat my shrimp, etc.. i have a fish only tank right now...
also, what are capecods, how can i get them to grow and how do i know if i have them or not?
any advice would be appreciated.....
thanks
tony

beaslbob

that's a big tank to be moving and a lotof livestock. Fortunately, most of the fish are fairly small. I moved several 10g in winter from rapid city SD to southern NM. I used several styrofoam and camping coolers about 1/3 full of water from each tank. the only problem i has was my car's heater failed in sub zero weather.
I think you can move everything ok if you have enough room. Also keep each container open to air. It will be a project though. And be sure to take your substrait with you and lr also. When i resetup my salt tanks they did not experience any cycle at all.
Wish you the best of luck!!

carolyn

I won't be moving for another 8-10 months but am already concerned about moving my tank. It's an 80 gallon tank, have some live rock with feather dusters & don't want to lose them either.
Would appreciate anyone else that's done the move--passing on some of their tips. I honestly lay awake & nite and dread it, thinking the fish (6) of 'em will all die!!!
Are the styrofoam coolers brand new???
Don't you have to wash or rinse them real good. I'd be afraid they'd contaminate the water somehow, but feel I'd better try to take as much with me...so next question how much is enough, 50% or more???
thanks--Carolyn