Advice on bamboos....

el guapo

If there is a plug in close you could try adding one of those sensor activated LED night lights . The ones that turn on when it gets dark . I had them set up in the canopy of my 125 and it worked good to mimic moon light .

fraggle_a

Hey, thats not a bad idea!.
Ill have to keep an eye open for those.
Well, I finnaly uploaded some images of the shark onto my facebook page. Boy am I lazy!!.
I bought 10 more shrimp last night. I figured since there were only two shrimp left, I should stock up again.
So, another 10 go into the water. It ate one in a few minutes. I was soo excited to see this guy actualy eat infront of my eyes!
I checked this morning and I counted Zero shrimp... I did a re-count (hey, this is florida) and still saw none!. I think its figured out how to eat!!.
:)
Ill try it on just a squid cube tonight and see what happens.
The wife brough home another tank last night....
I am now the proud owner of 1x60g, 2x40g, and something like 4 or 5 10g tanks..... :-
(one of the 40g's is a fresh water for turtles.... gotta give the kids something right?)

fraggle_a

I already have a BIG pond pump.
Until we move, Im trying to keep things small and simple. I dont wana have to store, and move everything twice.
Im trying to tell her to bring home bigger tanks... Another 60g would be nice!.
Or a drilled 125!.
Still planning the pond though.. (its looking about 500 gallons now... possibly 600 including the filters and "fuge")

fraggle_a

Well hot dog!
I moved the shark into my bedroom and put a simple 25w lamp over the tank.
Put some freeze dried shrimp in the water and before I could get back with the frozen squid, mr shark was going loopy. Gulping at the top of the water.
I put the squid in anyway, the Damsel seems to like it..
I dropped a rock in the water, and switched the internal filter to a HOB filter and things seem a little better.
Going to carry on with the 50/50 water exchanges of course.

fraggle_a

Well, I added a hood and a simple lamp to the tank.
Put some carbon pad into the HOB filter and Ill carryon on doing a 50% water change with the reef tank.
The little guy is swimming and eating like a chap.
Seems to have lost interest in the squid.... typical.
The freeze dried baby krill seem to spark its interest. It will swim about for a moment, then go to the surface and try to snatch the food.
Every other day Im adding ghost shrimp now. 10 seem do it well for 2 days.
Its fun shutting off the lamp and watching it start cruising the "tank" (all 10g of it! LOL)
Ill post some images soon.

el guapo

Your going to want to wean it off the freeze dried krill eventually . There's not a lot of nutrition to it . But other wise good job on getting it to feed . That's a major hurrdle .

crazyboutreefs

Originally Posted by EL GUAPO
http:///forum/post/2736955
Your going to want to wean it off the freeze dried krill eventually . There's not a lot of nutrition to it . But other wise good job on getting it to feed . That's a major hurrdle .
I thought the freeze dried Krill was good for them because of the contents. The Krill I'm using has 61.8% Crude Protien and 20.63% Crude Fat.

yerboy

i didn't read every post so forgive me if this has already been suggested.
About a year or more ago i hatched a brownbanded bamboo, the first week or so its yolk sack still had yolk in it so it was being fed by that and would not accept other foods.
At about 2 weeks old i started attempting to get it to feed each night about 1 hour after lights had gone out. Took me 3 days and it was eating raw shrimp. Once i got it eating i would feed it a small piece of shrimp every other night. With in no time it was eating hole pieces of shrimp by the hand full. If your bamboo grows as fast as mine did it will outgrow that 40gal before its 4 months old, and would easily outgrow a 75 by 6 months imo.

el guapo

Originally Posted by crazyboutreefs
http:///forum/post/2737466
I thought the freeze dried Krill was good for them because of the contents. The Krill I'm using has 61.8% Crude Protien and 20.63% Crude Fat.

Its not so much the protein and the fat as the nutrients in them . The vitamins that are lost in the freeze drying process . They sell frozen Krill thats better for them . If anything soak the freeze dried stuff in selcor or some other supplements

robn

The best thing IMO to entice a shark to eat is squid....be sure to cut it into small bite-sized pieces, grab it with some tongs and wave it in front of them gently....don't hit them with it though.....be sure not to wash the squid either, sharks have an extremely good sense of smell......the best time to feed is around 1 hour after lights-out.....most all sharks are night feeders.........
If squid doesn't work, try octopus or shrimp next, then scallops, then silversides.
Good luck!

robn

Probably a couple of years max......the tank length is fine, the front-to-back is probably not though........

ah. i have a petstore local who takes fish after they get to big for your tnk. (not an excuse like someppl use) but i mean like i was figuring only a few months. but years. thats cool. im thinking bout getting one but not sure yet