advice on carpet anemone

daisy

What are the requirements for this animal? My LFS has two gorgeous specimins, each about 10 inches across. How big do they get, and can I keep them in a tank full of softies? I have no starfishes, one maroon clown and have never kept anemones.
Thanks!

lestregus

the problem with keeping them in a softie tank is that most softie tanks don't have the required lighting. these guys require high levels of lighting because they go on the sand. if you can keep clams in your tank then you have the required lighting. how deep is your tank and what kind of lights?

blk822

I have a blue carpet I have had for about three years and its always been under 4-110 watt URI VHO bulbs. 2- white/actinics and 2 03 actinics. Its probly 12 inches across when fully open. I feed it about once a month with half of a herring I bought from a bait store. I keep the herring frozen and then cut one in half and defrost it in a cup of aquarim water.

lestregus

thats good to know blk822, sounds like we have the same system
75g with 440 vho
i've been afraid to add one
:thinking:

caillou

I could be wrong but I was talking to my LFS last night because they had a nice one. He told me they don't usually host clows. Was he wrong?

T

thomas712

Originally posted by Caillou
I could be wrong but I was talking to my LFS last night because they had a nice one. He told me they don't usually host clows. Was he wrong?

Ive seen dozens of percs and false percs loving the heck out of a carpet anemone before. Just take the time to lookup the specific anemone and what it will host with.
Carpet anemone's would thrive much better with MH lighting, IMO.
Thomas