Advice on new residents for a 70gal reef tank

vander

We recently (4 weeks ago, been through the cycle) upgraded from an old 45 gal reef tank to a new 70 gal tank. We are looking to get some new fish, and I was wondering if any of ya'll happen to know what fish/inverts will get along best with our current reef residents.
1 Coral Beauty Angel
1 Lawnmower Blenny
2 Percula Clownfish
3 Scarlet Hermit Crabs.
The tank obviously seems quite empty, we have about 30lbs of live rock that has been growing for five years or so, but with the bigger tank, we are looking to get a bit more. I would appreciate any and all advice concerning what sort, and how many new creatures might enjoy what we have to offer.
The lighting is 50/50 Acitone/10000K, and it has pretty much everything needed for a saltwater reef tank. (I believe).
We also have some various small polyps and are really looking for some good peaceful colorful fish, along with a recomended anemone or two.

rstiles

how many watts is the lighting ?
royal gramma ,most of the smaller wrasse are reef safe,chromis a small group 5/6 is pretty and thay move around a lot,mushroom corals are good and hardy with the angle in the tank you are some what limited as thay might pick on the polyp corals. In two differnt tanks I had a dwart angle one left every thing alone (flame) the other one hit on every thing (coral beauty)

vander

The lights are 1 65W acitone and 1 65W 10,000K, it is a bow front 70 gal, i'm looking to put alot more live rock in it so the coral or anemonae that I put in can be closer to the lights, also looking to get a MH light but don't know how to fit it in the setup.
I was looking at the six-line wrasse, should these fish be purchased as a single or 2-3 fish?
Thanks for the help, really just looking for some suggestions as to what I should add.

jayc

What kinda lights are they? Like power compacts, metal haids, vho's. You could save some money for other stuff and order base rock instead of liverock. In a couple of month's you wont be able to tell which is which. For the fish is theres lots to choose from, are they're any you are really interested in?
Josh

rstiles

royal gramma 1 wrasse 1 chromis 4-5-6 on the lighting fig min of 6 watts per gallon for mushrooms-soft poylep or at least 9/10 watts for the others .

rainfishy

I disagree with the above watt advise. I have lots of great softies and some LPS with only 4 watts per gallon. However with only 130 watts of what I assume is PC lights that is not enough for a 70 gallon reef. and PLEASE, PLEASE it is not nearly enough for an anemone so research lighting needs for an anemone before you get one.

vander

not really sure about the watts per gallon issue with the lights, would have to figure out the displacement caused by the LR and then figure out total gallons, some people on the boards seem to think wpg is not a good measure? kind of confused by all of the lighting stuff, if there was nothing but water in my tank it would be like 1.87 watts per gallon, that seems a little low, maybe LFS was bsin me but they said anemone could live in it, if he was just trying to get my money why wouldn't he have tried to sell me a more expensive lighting system?
the royal gramma really is a beautiful fish, do they hide much? think im going to get the six-line wrasse to handle bristle worm problems I have from time to time. The blue-reef chromsis are also a good looking fish, do they school around together?

vander

don't worry rainfishy I have no intentions of getting animals that our system will not support. that is why I came here to ask before I purchased anymore animals, because I want sound advice. :) thank you for the concern, are there any residents you would recommend or lighting perhaps?

rainfishy

So glad to hear that about the anemone
As far as fish go you have a lot of options, royal grammas wont hide much once they are use to their new home. They are pretty active, as are blue-green chromis, they school so you can have several togeather. Another option is gobies, which are colorful and peaceful.
Another thing that you might want to add is shrimp. There are some really colorful, fun, peaceful shrimp like a cleaner or fire shrimp that would be perfect for your tank. Here is a pic of my fire shrimp. He was shy the first few months but now he is never hidden :joy:

jayc

Your doing the right thing by researching first before you buy. And yea, my royal gramma hid the first week or so but now he's almost always out in the open.
Josh

vander

Well everything about the oryal gramma seems positive so I will look into getting one of those, and the chromsis would be nice to have a little 3 or 4 fish school swimming around.
Thanks for the great advice, looking forward to having a livelier (<--- that might not be a real word) tank, cleaning crew came in today and the little snails are blitzkrieging around the tank.

jayc

Chromis are also very nice!! Can u post some pics of that cleaning crew you got today?
Josh

vander

whats the best way to post pics, anyone have a good picture hosting website?, I've got a digital, so I could post some pictures of the tank and the little guys.