Advice on Powerheads

carshark

Originally Posted by Vanos
The power head that oscillates is a piece of junk. I have one and it stopped working after 6 months. It still works but doesn't oscillate. Get rid of the spraybar. These are for freshwater tanks.

ok so what do you use for surface agitation? i think you are thinking of a bubble wall or airstones... a spray bar is about 7 holes drilled at 1/4 in. apart to get a wide spread surface current. surface agitation is a must for proper gas exchange.

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by drew2005
Right now my mag 5 is rated at 500gph. I also have the AC 30 powerhead rated at 174gph on my skimmer. Thats only about a 12x turnover. Im gearing for at least 15x. The 2 maxi-jets will give me about 590gph. Thats 21x turnover. Is that too much?
Perhaps you could use one of the mj900's now if you feel you need more flow use the second one. Or use them both during the day but turn them off at night so the fish don't feel like they are in a hurricane. Using the nozzle attachments you could just set one on surface skim.
Some folks like a good 20x turnover rate but not me. Perhaps you can trottle back the mag a bit.

drew2005

Originally Posted by Thomas712
Perhaps you could use one of the mj900's now if you feel you need more flow use the second one. Or use them both during the day but turn them off at night so the fish don't feel like they are in a hurricane. Using the nozzle attachments you could just set one on surface skim.
Some folks like a good 20x turnover rate but not me. Perhaps you can trottle back the mag a bit.
Thats an idea too. Theres so many options im getting dizzy.
I figured since im ordering online i might as well order 2. I can always sell one if i dont use it. I may be upgrading in a year or 2 so i can always hold on to it. Thanks.

trailer

i just got an Eheim compact that puts out 230 gph. you can actually hide it behind the livrock and is very small so you cant see it. one of the smallest ones i have seen.

airforceb2

I have a powersweep 228 in my tank and it has been running great for 2 months now. I take it out about every 2 weeks and throoughly clean it and I don't have any problems at all.
Vanos,
How do you figure spraybars are for freshwater tanks only? They dispurse water from either a sump or a PH. The type of water has nothing to do with the performance of the water return. I feel they are VERY beneficial as you can point a couple holes towards the surface for agitation and you can direct flow through the rock work for optimal surface flow.

seahorse11

I just bought a 90 gallon and want to get new powerheads. Are the Aquaclear 50's submersible? Right now there are 3 PH's but not that strong. I want to get either the Aquaclears or Maxi jet 900's? Will two strong PH's work? I dont plan on any live corals, anemones, sponges, urchins. I will have feather dusters, starfish, snails. I want QUIET PH's also!