Advice on premade refugiums

toddg

I am looking to get a 125 gallon tank soon. Just looking around for the right stand now. I have decided I want to go the refugium route but do not want to build my own using fish tank, rubbermaid buckets, etc... I want something pre-made for this purpose.
I have a really good connection for ProClear products. (opinions welcome on their products. I am not limited to theirs alone) They have some very large wet/dry systems that I could remove the bio-balls and put live sand and live rock.
Which way to I go?
Convert wet/dry?
Buy another brand of pre-made refugium? (if so, what brand)
(I think Pro Clear makes a pre-made unit because I noticed a classified ad for one on these boards. But its sold now and I didnt see any more on the net.)

J

jfdjason

My opinion would be to make your own. That way you can make it to fit and do what you want it to do. Also for a bit of work you will save $$$$'s

acrylic51

I agree with JFDJason make your own it'll probably still be cheaper, because they still have to pay the bills as well and if you do it yourself you can make it fit your needs not what someone elses is, and if your get to specific with them doing somthing custom it'll probably drive the price up.
Acrylic isn't that costly and you could make 1 heck of a sump/fuge and it's and easy project. How big of a sump/fuge are you talking???

joker_ca

yes make it out of a regular glass tank and if you dont have money for a glass tank then you can use rubbermaid container its way cheaper anyway you go and it shouldnt take you that long to make it

msd2

If you don't want to hassle with the building of a fuge/sump you can get almost any local acrylic dealer to do it. You can give them a drawing and they will create exactly what you want for a price.

toddg

Thanks for all the suggestions to build it or have it built for me.
I would rather just buy a pre-made unit and not have to deal with it.
Are there ANY companies that make a refugium???? And if so (I am 99.99% sure at least one company does. Proclear at least did at one point), which company's design matches what you would want in your refugium...??
Thanks again for the encouragement on building one though. I am sure I could. I am anal retentive about most things and I am sure I could do a great job.

pyro f/x

Lifereef will make whatever you want just send them the dim's. They have always made top quality products.

msd2

I have actually never seen a company that just prebuild fuges. ---- has some companies that make them but they come in pieces that you have to glue together. I have seen lots and lots of wet/drys prebuilt of course but thats going to be a fair amount of work to convert it over. The reason being why I think fuge's are prebuilt that often is that everyone wants one a bit different and different sizes so theres no universal set size, it varies on your needs and your space available. Not sure why you would prefer one that generic anyway when you can get one exactly how you want and delivered to your door, or pick it up locally. Try your LFS mine has a guy they work with and will have one built to your specs also.
Not sure if price is a factor but to give you an idea of the different breakdowns for my fuge/sump when I made it here were the different costs:
260 for all parts custom cut to my measurements, i had to glue it all together
450 for it glued and all put together, all I had to do was add water
140 new acrylic tank (truevue) and welded in acrylic for baffles.
I personally went with the 3rd option, partially because it was the cheapest but it also was the size I wanted and all the critical joints were already glued. Personally I like acrylic better, stronger, takes more abuse and easier to drill if needed.
Also it hard to recommend what to look for in a fuge because we don't know the use. Is it just for nutrient export? Is it hidden under the display tank? Any live animals like seahorses to be kept in it? etc etc.
The only universal suggestion I have is make sure the baffles are 2 inches apart so the bubbles have a chance to settle out before being returned to the display tank.

scubadoo

You can look for a used wet dry on ---- or here in the classifieds. Why buy new?
I have a used wet/dry that came with my used 110 set-up that I did not use. I also have a used Berlin protein skimmer that I did not use with the 110. . Send me an email at idiot@c212.com and I will foward a pic of the wet dry. Don't think I have a pic of the skimmer....too cold to go out and bring it in tonight. The wet/dry is made by Amiracle...no pumps included but it does have the overflow box and U tube. $85 bucks for all.

acrylic51

You might want to check out a site called myreefcreations.com. He will custom make what you want!!!!!!Andys' work is suppose to be really good

randy 13

There are the Ecosystems. They are a refugium. They are a bit pricey because of the mud. If you don't want the mud, you might be able to purchase it without the mud.
You can get them in acrylic or glass. We have a glass one. I don't like the acrylic ones because just like acrylic aquariums, there is not a completely open top.